Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Moral dilemma--brisket indoors?

Moral dilemma--brisket indoors?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

What would YOU do if an apartment dweller w no access to an outdoor grill or smoker wrote asking if there were any way to cook a decent brisket indoors?

Shrug with pity? Or try to help him out.

Call me a boy scout, but I did the latter?

What would YOU do?

Hi, David,

While there’s no substitute for smoking brisket in a pit outdoors, there’s are some things you can do to improve your results indoors.

1. Invest in an indoor smoker, like the Camerons stovetop smoker-cooker.
2. Use a barbecue rub—preferably a smoky rub like my Best of Barbecue Kansas City Rub (made w smoked salt). Available in our store.
3. Braise the brisket indoors. Add a drop of liquid smoke to the braising liquid.
4. Baste the brisket with melted butter fortified with a drop of liquid smoke.
5. Brush with a smoky barbecue sauce and sizzle under the broiler just before serving.
5. Pick up a copy of my Raichlen’s Indoor Grilling book (Workman Publishing). There’s a recipe for Texas brisket indoors in the beef chapter.

Let us know how it works out.

SR

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If he can get ahold of some good smoked bacon he could drap the brisket (I'm guessing it's a flat) or cook the bacon and baste with the drippings to add some flavor as well. If he goes the indoor smoker route he hopefully has an adequate ventilation system!

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:03 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I have a Camerons and know it's theroretically possible to do a larger cut on it but I never have. I usually use mine to do fish, boneless chicken breasts, or maybe pork chops.
Know not everyone can, but if I'm doing a larger cut, I'm going outside and firing up.
Brad - I'll run the stove vent on low but haven't had any problem with smoke.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

He may have to do what many people do--do the best you can with what you have. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

A lot of apartment complexs don't allow live fire. What about electric smoker? If the aroma is offensive. Get up early get a couple few hours of smoke in to the meat and then transfer into oven. :cheers:

Return to General Discussion