Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion To brine or not to brine?

To brine or not to brine?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:55 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
Brining is kind of a pain. We've been doing a simple injection instead of brining lately and it seems to work great. Sure is easier.

Not to mention it also take up a lot less room in the fridge (or cooler). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:43 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

CharredGriller wrote:

Exactly. My fridge and cooler are already full!

The best thing we've done lately is buy fresh turkeys. They aren't frozen, so they don't take up half of the fridge for three or four days while thawing. A little more expensive, but more convenient and more delicious. I'm picking one up from the farm this afternoon and smoking it tomorrow! Trying to get a little head start so I can make turkey gumbo for the family visits on Thursday...
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

Exactly. My fridge and cooler are already full!

The best thing we've done lately is buy fresh turkeys. They aren't frozen, so they don't take up half of the fridge for three or four days while thawing. A little more expensive, but more convenient and more delicious. I'm picking one up from the farm this afternoon and smoking it tomorrow! Trying to get a little head start so I can make turkey gumbo for the family visits on Thursday...

Those are all great reasons to buy local if you can get it. Assuming your farmer doesn't cut any corners (and sadly, some do), fresh turkeys and chickens are usually a lot better tasting than the frozen store-bought ones. They're definitely worth looking for if you have the means.

I worked on a turkey farm for a summer job back in my high school days. They're big, stubborn birds and they can give you a really good bite if they want to so I don't mind eating them at all.

Plus, I'd swear they are the dumbest birds on the planet. The flock I looked after didn't know enough to come indoors after dark so we had to shoo them into the barn each night or they'd become coyote food. They were pretty ornery about being hustled into the barn, though, so we wound up wearing extra-long gloves and using wide brooms to get them moving along. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:09 am
Trollby well done
well done

For the last 4 years I been buying local "Fresh" turkeys, but this year we got a free 14# frozen one from the market for buying stuff we already buy so free is good.

This meant no Brining for me

Was a GF (Honeysuckle White Turkey), which has been enhanced. I just made a rub with 1/3 the salt I normally use and included GF Beer and more GF turkey base. Injected the bird the night before and Smoke roasted @ 325*F and 2 hours later was at temp to pull and rest

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
For the last 4 years I been buying local "Fresh" turkeys, but this year we got a free 14# frozen one from the market for buying stuff we already buy so free is good.

Was a GF (Honeysuckle White Turkey), which has been enhanced. I just made a rub with 1/3 the salt I normally use and included GF Beer and more GF turkey base. Injected the bird the night before and Smoke roasted @ 325*F and 2 hours later was at temp to pull and rest

So how was the "enhanced" bird compared to a home-brined turkey?

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm
Trollby well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Trollby wrote:

So how was the "enhanced" bird compared to a home-brined turkey?

Sorry been busy and missed this post.

I thought the bird came out really good and juicy, since I injected it until it was leaking all over I think that helped.

Also I tried that "Ice the breast" trick someone else posted since the breast is what always dries out on non-brined birds.

My wife was very happy with results too.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I always brine chicken, turkey, various pork cuts like chops and tenderloin.
Brineing time is about 4-10 hours. I use salt, sugar, and various spices depending on the meat
and result I want.

If there is not time enough for long brine, even a short 15-30 minute brine will help.
And you can leave the meat out of the fridge for that time period( use cold water).

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:48 am
BchrisL User avatar
rare
rare

I brine from time to time, but mostly I marinate with a acid/oil mixture and various favors. Brining a turkey for me has always produced pleasing results with regard to moist meat after slow cooking. I don't brine if I deep fry the turkey, and it is always juicy without the brine. I don't brine pork or beef, but I do brine fish.

I included the labels from Morton salt for kosher salt and regular salt. They are different weights. Volume measure for measure, there is 20% more salt in regular salt than in kosher salt.

Regular salt
Kosher salt

Ratio
The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
By Michael Ruhlman

This is a great book that gives some basic ratios of ingredients of various things. For example 3 to 1 oil to vinegar , or 5 or 3 flour to water for basic bread dough for example.

He specifies 20 to 1 for basic brine BY WEIGHT. I have used this formula for for some time and have never had a problem of too much salt in the meat I am brineing.

Chris
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Chris! "Ratio" looks like a good book for any kitchen shelf.

Previous

Return to General Discussion