Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rotisserie tip roast

Rotisserie tip roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've used up all of the "good" cuts from my annual beef order and it's getting down to the "other" pieces of beef now. I actually like the sirloin tip roast and this was the last one.

I started with the Garlic Pepper Rib Roast recipe from BBQ USA and modified it by adding dried rosemary and some red pepper flakes.

The roast was covered and placed in the fridge for about 24 hours, and during that time the meat got really dark.
Image Image

I've really come to like the rotisserie for cuts of meat that have a wet rub or paste that would likely come off on the grill grates.

It wound up a little more done than I wanted but there was still enough pink. Besides, it wasn't my fault...the Bears and Ravens went into overtime! :lol:

A kaiser roll, some pit beef sauce, and a little pasta salad finished out my plate. The crust on the roast was salty and spicy to the point that I was worried the beef wouldn't be that good, but the sauce really did a good job of balancing the flavors.

I think the only roast I have left is a rump roast, and I'm not too sure what to do with it...

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks mighty tasty!

Rump roast can be really good, I like to cook in a dutch-oven with onion, baby red taters and carrots

Brown roast on stove in dutch-oven on all sides, add a little wine and beef stock to de-glaze and then add veggies.

Place in pre-heated oven @ 325*F for around 20min per #

I cut garlic and stick in the roast in slits all over it and just salt and pepper it.

Also as normal slice thin

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks excellent, Brad! That's the exact cut I like to use the most on the spit, and oddly enough that's the same rub I like to use too. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Mighty pretty smoke rings and slice-up, Brad... beercuer like what he sees! Image

I'd be tempted to take a rump roast, cut it into portions, and make a kind of Swiss steak out of it. ... Tenderize it, grill roast, then break out the CI ware and tomatoes, etc., and give that a whir to braise for a spell. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Both rump roast recipes sound pretty good, and I have a slow cooker as well. It won't go to waste!

I think I used one for pit beef a couple of years ago. It turned out pretty good, but of course required thin slicing.

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:48 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Rump is one of those cuts that can be cooked rare (as long as it is sliced thin) or low and slow (or even braised) and still taste good.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion