Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Happy birthday to me

Happy birthday to me

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For some reason people have been making a fuss about my birthday today so I decided to treat myself with a nice dinner. My boss speaks highly of Miller & Sons and I'd never shopped there, so this morning I made the 22-mile drive to Verona to check it out.

Tonight's menu will consist of bone-in ribeyes, scallops, stuffed portobello caps, and baked potatoes. I'm pretty sure that there will be leftovers and I'm hoping I'll get to put it on my expense report. :wink:

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:25 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Happy Birthday :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy those rib eyes!!! :D :D
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm
JuliaBBQB User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Happy belated birthday! What did you stuff the portobello caps with?

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! The caps were stuffed with sausage by the grocery store, and they were quite good.

Mrs. Chicken pointed out that I had bought way too much food for one meal so they became three: 1 ribeye and baked potatoes Saturday night, portobello caps with pork steak and cauliflower last night, and the other ribeye (grilled Saturday) for breakfast this morning. :wink:

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:56 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Happy birthday, Brad! Any pics, by chance? :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm
BBQ Deputy

I think I can scare up a few.

The ribeyes.

The scallops. The marinade recipe is Marinated Scallop Brochettes from Weber's Real Grilling.
Image Image

It was nice that I didn't have to juggle anything. Because the scallops didn't take long I grilled them while the steaks were resting.
Image Image

My kids gave me a couple of books, too. The Coke book is pretty obvious and the burger book is kind of a compendium of recipes using certain name-brand products.
Image Image

One of the Coke recipes is called "Limelight Steak" and while it calls for beef I gave it a try with a pork steak.

The steak after the wet rub but before the Coke, and then after 2 hours in the fridge.
Image Image

The mushrooms turned out to be stuffed with Italian sausage and what I think was mozzarella cheese.

They turned out to be the opposite of the ribeyes and scallops, as the mushrooms took longer to cook than the pork.

The pork steak was pretty good but Mrs. Chicken didn't care for the sweetness the Coke added. Oddly, I didn't mind it quite as much. But the mushrooms were excellent!

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - a happy birthday indeed! Great pics, Brad! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion