Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Burn Ban: Oven time + temp for Perfect Thanksgving Turkey?

Burn Ban: Oven time + temp for Perfect Thanksgving Turkey?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
rsmoffat raw
raw

So making the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey (as I have for the last decade or so) but this year there's a Burn Ban (Stage 2) in effect that could last through tomorrow Brine is cooling, and the bird will get bathed here shortly...

So my question is: How does cooking temp + time translate to an oven?

Thanks =)
Scott

BubbaQue well done
well done

Butterball web site has a calculator for temps and times/weight. I also like Alton Browns method of starting with High heat to brown breast then lowering the temp and tenting. Good luck.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

phillyjazz well done
well done

I go high heat all the way for 90 minutes or so for a 12-13 lb. bird. 475F (but spray some PAM on parchment or cheesecloth to keep the skin from burning. Let rest 30 minutes before carving...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the site, Scott, and I hope the turkey turned out well! The rule I've always heard is 15 minutes per pound at 325 degrees.

A burn ban in the Seattle area? That seems really weird given the climate out there!

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome aboard, Scott!

I'm with ScreamingChicken on this one. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Seattle-Q well done
well done

It not beause of it being dry here its because of the stagnant air. When the wind does not blow all the polution just sits and gathers. So if you burn wood in a fireplace the smoke kind of just settles and does not go away and makes a unheathly enviroment.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Seattle-Q wrote:
It not beause of it being dry here its because of the stagnant air. When the wind does not blow all the polution just sits and gathers. So if you burn wood in a fireplace the smoke kind of just settles and does not go away and makes a unheathly enviroment.

True enough. My US TV feeds come from either Spokane or Seattle, and I recall seeing the images of thick clouds of fireplace smoke over Spokane and Tacoma during the winter months.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

rsmoffat raw
raw

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Welcome to the site, Scott, and I hope the turkey turned out well! The rule I've always heard is 15 minutes per pound at 325 degrees.

A burn ban in the Seattle area? That seems really weird given the climate out there!

Thanks SC, been while since I posted, so I had to renew my login.

As it turned out the burn ban was lifted Wednesday night, and was still clear Thursday, so I was able to give the bird its due: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 6cbf44e541 (links work for everyone, not just Facebook users...)

As for the burn Ban in WA-- we get them mostly due to air quality-- I live in Puget Sound (Seattle and thereabouts) which is nestled between two mountain ranges (Cascades and Olympics), so smoke and other airborne stuff can get backed up in our area until a storm comes through and blows it out. We have a high concentrations of metro areas, and the area around is heavy forest and valleys, with many folks relying on wood fire for heat/cooking-- so it's balance between the two when it comes to it. Just over the mountains, we've got Eastern Washington which is more arid and a different set of problems ;-) We're "known" for our rain (Hawai'i and other places actually get more), but it's the cloud cover that give us our character-- for better or worse. surprisingly, we have been getting some significant droughts (although not as bad as TX), over the last 2 decades, and then burn ban is also for stopping wild fires.

=) Scott

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Now that's a nicely-browned bird! :thumbup:

Return to General Discussion