Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Help with good queso recipe

Help with good queso recipe

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 pm
Cypher rare
rare

Hey guys and gals,
I need some help with putting together a good queso recipe. I have the bulk of it down pat but wondering what other good ideas you all might have.

The base is Velveeta, two cans of rotel tomatoes and green chilies, 1lb of breakfast sausage.

I was going to add a block of smoked cheddar cheese to it but what can I add to thin it out a little bit? I was thinking about beer, I love beer cheese although non of us drink beer, I read a Melting pot recipe that called for 4 oz of beer, would that work in this recipe? Is that ok for kids? Cooking it gets rid of the alcohol properties doesn't it? Bourbon?

What are some other ideas for great queso? Unfortunately some of the family doesn't like it really hot so I have to forgo the really spicy stuff :(, I might get some canned jalapenos we can add on the side.

Is it too much to add a little bacon for extra flavor?

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:30 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

My wife puts Taco meat in hers. Just buy a packet of taco seasoning and follow the directions. It usually uses one pound of ground meat. She drains the Rotel, but if you want thinner sauce add the liquid.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You could always use a nonalcoholic beer like O'Doul's or Sharp's. Are you going to smoke the sausage?

And no, bacon never hurts! :wink:

Return to General Discussion