Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ trends for 2014????

BBQ trends for 2014????

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I'm working on our annual blog on barbecuing and grilling trends for 2014. I wonder if I could enlist YOUR help? What interesting trends have you seen in YOUR region? New cuts of meat or foods on the grill or in the smoker? Cool new grills, smokers, or accessories? New sauces, spice rubs, flavoring? What do you think will blow minds and delight tastebuds in 2014?

Thanks and wishing everyone a happy healthy New Year!

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hmmm...interesting question! Madison has great culinary diversity but I don't get up there outside of work very often, and I haven't seen anything really new in the smaller towns. Then again, this part of the country doesn't have a barbecue heritage so concepts and products tend to get here after they've been established somewhere else. I'll have to keep my eyes open!

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am
Griffin well done
well done

I don't know if this qualifies as a new trend, but I've been hearing a lot of people getting and talking about the A-Maze-N Smoker and using it to turn their grills/smokers into cold smokers for bacon and cheese. Just fill it with pellets and light one end. I've actually got some pork belly curing right now and my A-Maze-N smoker should arrive today. Plan to cold smoke the bacon for 10-12 hours on Sunday. Might throw some cheese on there for fun as well. We'll see how it turns out.

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:51 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Thanks! One of my trends is "Smoking goes cold," so this ties in perfectly.

SR

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:16 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's an interesting piece of grill gear, Griff...looking forward to the results!

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:42 am
Griffin well done
well done

From what I understand, it puts out very little heat at all. Almost negligible. So the bacon won't actually be cooked, just cured and smoked, but once you slice it and fry it, it will be good to go. Thinking I'll throw on some cheese for 2-3 hours as well just for fun.

Arghh!! Now I'm mad. Just checked online to see whether or not my pellets had shipped. They were supposed to arrive today. Now its saying Tuesday!! :evil: Grrr! Shouldn't have started curing the bacon until everything was in hand.

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Academy sports carries pellets is you can't wait.
(I know the feeling, I'm impatient with a new toy! :lol: )

Or search for a Traeger dealer.
Don't know your zip in Dallas so I can't be more specific.

Really interested in your results.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:28 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Among my local friends, grilled pizza and pork belly was getting popular in 2013. The KettlePizza is pretty neat and our local meat shop started keeping pork belly in stock so we've been grilling it, braising it, and making homemade bacon. And by "we", I mostly mean my friends as I've not made my own bacon yet.

I've been trying to tell people how fun it is to stir-fry on the grill, but I've only convinced one person so far. So I don't reckon that counts as a trend! :lol:

But in all seriousness you can't beat a charcoal or wood fire for delivering the heat that a proper stir-fry needs. We did this one on Tuesday when it was literally freezing outside. Good times!
Cold.JPG
Cold.JPG (105.33 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Well your stir-fry certainly made me hungry!

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

In Los Angeles, grilling seafood has increased substantially in restaurants. Specifically, large shrimp, scallops, and lobster tail are very popular, especially with asian style dry spices.

Grilled oysters have made some noise as well, grilling them in shell, topped with various sauces.

Pop up restaurants are more popular than ever, and they do alot of grilling. Usually all types and cuts of poultry, beef and pork, and grilling various vegs.

Heat, like in chiles, is being used more often in many preparations, especially burgers and seafood.

Food trucks in LA have become a culture, and most of them grill.
Last edited by JPET on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 am
Griffin well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Academy sports carries pellets is you can't wait.
(I know the feeling, I'm impatient with a new toy! :lol: )

Or search for a Traeger dealer.
Don't know your zip in Dallas so I can't be more specific.

Really interested in your results.

-YB

Thanks. I canceled that amazon order and picked some up at a local Ace hardware store. They were the Traeger brand and even though I had heard some bad reports, they were all I could find. Worked out well, but later that day, I was at Academy and saw they had B&B brand for cheaper. WIsh I had known that and seen your post. Oh well, the traeger ones worked well.

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

With the increasing popularity of shows like Duck Dynasty, I've noticed a really big spike in interest for wild game and fowl in my area. And that's for an area that has a lot of hunting anyway.

As an aside, I'll see if I can bag a few feral hogs and cook 'em up this year as I just got back into hunting myself. Lots of wild piggies out my way as they were introduced to the region 20 years ago as a boutique food crop and they escaped and got out of hand. In fact there are enough that there's a bounty on them as they're destroying local crops and wildlife habitats.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

B&B pellets are available if your looking for cherry wood pellets, B&B's are called "cherry flavored". But I did call the manufactuer of the pellets, BBQ Delight , and they said their one pound bags are 100% of that wood, like cherry, apple etc. Their other pellets, the large bags, are 75% oak, and 25% the fruit or other wood like mesquite.

The other place I could find 100% cherry wood pellets, is A-Maze-N. I did buy their 12 inch tube, plus cherry wood pellets( also BBQ Delights). For pure oak wood pellets, various hardwood stores sell the Trager brand. And Trager does sell cherry wood pellets, but it is only about 30% cherry, balance oak.

The tube works well in a gas griller (do not place over flame or intense heat, find a cooler zone, or place on a pie pan). I ignite the pellets with a propane torch. And if you do not need a full 12 inches of pellets, just place crunched foil in the opened end, up to how much you want in pellets ( six inches?), then pour in the pellets( one end is left opened for ignition of the pellets).

I also use them for bbq cooking at times, though I do have plenty of large and chunk pieces of apple and pear, oak, and mesquite wood.

Return to General Discussion