Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer cheese soup

Beer cheese soup

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:05 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last weekend I decided I would try making beer cheese soup for the first time, and tried to incorporate some grilling into the process. My apologies for the inconsistent colors; I just upgraded to a new version of Photoshop and have some learning to do.

Here are the primary ingredients. Most recipes call for cheddar but I had a mishmash of leftover cheeses to use up so I went that route, and didn't really follow any one particular recipe. Provolone, asiago, parmesan, and curds were run through the food processor.
Image Image

I fired up the grill and put the pepper and onion right on the coals until they were thoroughly charred.
Image Image

And to add a Wisconsin touch, since the grill was going I hot-smoked a bratwurst and cut it into coins.

The veggies, beer, and chicken stock went into the pot first.

Then I stirred in some milk and added the cheese and bratwurst.

I made 2 major mistakes: I used some cheeses that were too soft (provolone and curds) and I let the soup get too hot, which eventually gave me a pot of liquid with a giant glob of what could be described as resembling dog barf at the bottom.

This was why I put the soup outside overnight. The next afternoon I cut up the solids into small pieces and tried to melt them back into the liquid without any luck, which is why I wound up pouring the soup through the strainer.

After thickening the final product with a little bit of flour it actually had a pretty good flavor (the red pepper was noticeable but not overpowering) and texture, but I went about achieving it a very wrong way. I think if I was to make it again and stick to harder cheeses and lower temperatures the results would be much better.

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Interesting first attempt, Brad. :D

I've found that it's not so much the cheese that's at fault as it is the temperature. Higher temps closer to boiling seem to make cheese soups curdle, and the same goes for heavy cream soups as well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:54 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That looks tasty! Definitely the right time of year for that.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 am
Griffin well done
well done

We can't win 'em all but an A+ for your efforts. I think getting it too hot caused the cheese to break and seperate. Interesting choice on the beer. I've never seen it before, but I sure would like to try it. Sounds great.

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:45 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Inspiring. Brad, that beer cheese soup looks/sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a braunschweiger sandwich (or on crackers)!
Got beer???

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:21 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! I'm not a fan of liver sausages but I had a very good sandwich of grilled summer sausage with some beer cheese soup at a local restaurant a few years ago. The idea for the roasted red pepper in the soup came from this menu, which is also the place where the beer came from. :wink:

Griffin, unfortunately I don't think you'll find any Potosi products in Texas. However, if you and Mrs. G. are looking to escape the Texas heat in a few months you could head north a thousand miles or so for a cold bottle or 2. :wink:

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:34 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That's a delightfully appealing menu, Brad. One would be hard pressed to find one like that around here. I do know that once I get started on beef summer sausage, it is difficult for me to stop. :lol:
Got beer???

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 am
BBQ Deputy

A question about the broken cheese and what was left on the bottom of the pan:

Because it didn't incorporate into the soup and I thickened it with flour instead, was my version somehow slightly healthier or lower in fat?

Because if it was, I'll take credit for doing it on purpose. :lol:

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
A question about the broken cheese and what was left on the bottom of the pan:

Because it didn't incorporate into the soup and I thickened it with flour instead, was my version somehow slightly healthier or lower in fat?

Because if it was, I'll take credit for doing it on purpose. :lol:
On one hand Brad, our biochemistry requires a certain amount of intake of fats. So while some is good, too much fat, especially the saturated kind like in cheese, can risk compromising our biochemical balance and health in various ways. And cheese is reported to slow down digestive transit time. But flour, unless it is whole wheat, is generally considered "junk" for the body. At least cheese has some redeeming value. Once again the ideal of "All good things in moderation."

Nevertheless, in answer to your specific question, it probably was a good thing that not all the cheese got incorporated. Credits to you!
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion