Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Man Made Meals

Man Made Meals

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:34 am
sroach well done
well done

BaasPro,

Thats an awesome looking sandwich.

What are you using as a camera? your photo's always come out great.

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

sroach wrote:
What are you using as a camera? your photo's always come out great.

Thanks, man. I just use point & shoot cameras. My favorite is a Kodak Z990, which I've used for all these pictures. It's a buggy creature, though. Sometimes it just flat out doesn't work. Sometimes it works great. Weird. And I don't have Photoshop, so I just touch them up with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

We've tried a couple breakfast recipes this week. First up was the Mile High Pancake, for dinner. As the book mentions, this couldn't be any easier (our 13-year-old mixed up the batter in about five minutes) and it doesn't take much skill (the oven does the work). But the result is pretty neat! And tasty. And the kids (me included) loved watching them cook.

We made a 1/2 batch in a mini square skillet, and with some powdered sugar on top it was almost like a carnival snack. Everybody just grabbed a corner and pulled some off. Might do that again for parties. The 10-inch skillet version was dinner for 3.5 people, with a couple sides. I liked it best with maple syrup, but they preferred the powered sugar. Pretty sure I'll be trying these on the grill someday...

Mini Mile High Pancake:
07.JPG
07.JPG (48.11 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

Mile High Pancake:
06.JPG
06.JPG (67.74 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

Next up was Jose's Fried Eggs. Funny story -- I think I did the eggs pictured belong wrong. I've never fried eggs this way, so when my first one came all brown on top, I thought I was cooking them too fast (I should have read the instructions better). So I turned down the heat a bit and cooked these two. They were great -- a bit crispy on the outside (unlike a poached egg), but still with a nice runny yolk (like a poached egg). I found a picture online that shows how they're supposed to look, so I re-read the instructions and realized I'd done it right the first time. That's how we learn!

The book suggests a different meat for a side, but I had some smoked pastrami on hand so I used that. I also had a bunch of spinach on hand so I stir-fried them together real quick for a somewhat unique breakfast.

Jose's Fried Eggs (almost) with Stir-Fried Spinach & Smoked Pastrami:
08.JPG
08.JPG (80.6 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:17 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm not much for pancakes and the like but those eggs look great! I haven't looked much at the breakfast section and will have to do so this weekend.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:11 pm
BBQ Deputy

After reading the Jose's Eggs recipe I think I'm going to Americanize it just a touch and use butter instead of oil. I love eggs fried in butter but have never cared for them cooked in oil.

And the "Cyclops Eggs"...I've been eating those since I was old enough to handle solid food! Only my mom called it simply, "egg in a toast". Still probably my favorite egg recipe.

Anyhow, back to the cooking. Another recipe from the book is "Oaxacan Pork Fajitas" and a couple of weeks ago I gave them a try with a couple of pork chops I needed to use.
Image Image

The rub and marinade have a lot of flavor.
Image Image

I charred the vegetables on the grill.
Image Image

And I grilled the pork as well, prior to mixing it with the veggies in the skillet.
Image Image

I was really happy with how they turned out and they were a big hit with Mrs. Chicken and Baby Chicken #2. And while I used the grill a stove would've worked just as well, especially a gas stove since it can be used to char the vegetables.

When Man Made Meals hits the bookstores I think I'm going to get copies for the daughters' boyfriends.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

OMG, those eggs and pancakes look unbelievable! :shock: And SC, that pork looks delicious as well!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks! Fajitas, tacos, enchiladas and the like are all pretty much the same with me but these really turned out well.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:48 am
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Another recipe from the book is "Oaxacan Pork Fajitas" and a couple of weeks ago I gave them a try with a couple of pork chops I needed to use.

Those look great! I hadn't noticed that one yet, but I wish I had the stuff on hand to make it today. We're snowed in, but the grill still works.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

With the winter we have had, I often walk outside to find my GrillDome frozen shut, and my gasser covered with a foot of snow. Though I really prefer my steaks grilled over live fire, Steve's cast-iron skillet oven method worked great. As we find commercial Montreal Seasoning too salty, we concocted our own. We still missed the smoky flavor of charcoal, but the steaks turned out tender and juicy. Cleanup was pretty easy too. When I was in college, I'd pan fried a steak or two but couldn't afford cuts thick enough to require a stint in the oven. This did the trick.

Last edited by phillyjazz on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 am
BBQ Deputy

That's a nice steak, PJ! :thumbup:

I know all about eating on a college/new graduate budget. It's how I first discovered chuck steaks...

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 am
BaasPro medium
medium

I had the urge to grill breakfast on a foggy snowy morning yesterday, so I went back to the Mountain High Pancakes. They cooked differently on the grill, puffing up from the center rather than rising up around the edges like they did in the oven. I'm guessing that was because of different temperatures. I didn't check the grill temp, but I'm sure the skillets were hotter on the grill than they were after preheating in the oven. So they looked different, but tasted even better with a little applewood smoke. I'm going to remember this for camping -- it would be easy to mix the batter ahead of time and take it with you.

09.JPG
09.JPG (108.89 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

10.JPG
10.JPG (81.26 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:15 pm
BBQ Deputy

Did you grill the fruit for the pancakes as well?

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:11 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Did you grill the fruit for the pancakes as well?

Those pears were canned a couple months ago and I did put them on the round pancake about five minutes before pulling them from the grill, just to at least warm them up. The recipe reminds me of German or Dutch pancakes my mom used to make with apples (except this one is a lot easier), so I figured it would be a good fit. It was, especially with a little smoke flavor...

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:24 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice!!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 am
BBQ Deputy

Last Saturday I gave the Existential Burgers a shot, which required mushrooms, onion, and ground beef.
Image Image

I took the shiitakes out of the mushroom mix and sauteed them in butter, and after they were done I cooked the onions. I'm not a big fan of them raw so I got them pretty well done, but none tasted burnt as far as I could tell.
Image Image

The recipe calls for 4 burgers but since I had 2 pounds of ground beef I opted for 6. In this case I cooked them in the pan for the first time in years (and even got all cheffy with some basting) but they could certainly be grilled.

I think this one's Mrs. Chicken's. We all liked them and they had a lot of flavor; I had fewer onions on mine but our daughter actually added some raw ones to hers. And adding soy sauce to ketchup really ups the taste! The chips are my all-time favorite, Mrs. Fisher's.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion