Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Maybe a dumb question..Char-Grill vs Grilled

Maybe a dumb question..Char-Grill vs Grilled

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
sroach well done
well done

So I had lunch the other day in this restaurant, I ordered the Char-Grilled Chicken breast. Very good by the way, was done with Dijon mustard.

Anyway, I was thinking after I ordered. What really is Char-Grilled? Does it mean the restaurant grilled it over Charcoal? I mean vs a grilled chicken sandwich?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not a dumb question at all.

It seems to me that nowadays "char-grilled" usually means anything cooked on a grate instead of a flattop, regardless of the fuel used, especially since "char" can be used to describe the exterior of whatever's being cooked and doesn't always have to mean "charcoal".

Of course, using "charcoal" in the actual name or on the menu is a different story!

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nope - that's a good question, not a dumb one.

From my own experience, "char-grilled" now means anything that wasn't deep-fried or fried on a griddle. So basically, if the meat has been touched by a flame at some point in its cooking, it qualifies. For example - Dairy Queen has an automated flame broiler and the burgers that come off it are only touched by human hands when they are put on the conveyor belt. However, Dairy Queen still figures those burgers to be "char-grilled". Another name for them is "flame-broiled" - you gotta love marketing, folks.

That's like the so-called "pulled pork" a ton of fast food joints are now serving - it just barely qualifies because a) it's been shredded (usually by a machine) and b) it was once a part of a pig. :twisted:

Brad's right - if it says charcoal-grilled that's a different thing altogether (and a better thing in most cases, too). And I wish the restaurant he posted on the link had a location close to me as well. Tending a big commercial charcoal grill takes a little bit more skill than running a commercial gas grill (I've done both), because you've also got to tend the fire as well as cook. But the charcoal adds the smoke and to me that makes the difference. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

sroach well done
well done

Good stuff guys, and great point Brad, I guess "Char" could also describe the "doneness" LOL

phillyjazz well done
well done

When I was a kid, it usually meant cooked over coals. I think the definition has gotten diluted over the years. Still,if I see a restaurant called "CHARCOAL-PIT" -whatever... I'll usually stop in and EXPECT to see something other than a gas fire.. :)
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

All marketing the same way these days dunken meat in BBQ sauce means it is BBQ.

:bbq:

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For years here in the upper Midwest that was the very definition of barbecue! Doesn't matter how it was cooked, if it's topped with barbecue sauce it's barbecue! For example, the brisket my mom oven-roasts in a covered pan... :?

Return to General Discussion