Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Add Handles to Your Grill with a Few Nuts and Bolts

Add Handles to Your Grill with a Few Nuts and Bolts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
smokeybeaver well done
well done

From Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/add-handles-to-your-grill-with-a-few-nuts-and-bolts-1562241816

My Weber already has handles. Maybe this is an issue for other grills.

Otherwise, nice idea. Yes, it can cut down on your grilling surface area slightly, but I think it is an ok price to pay.

Old Smoker well done
well done

I've considered doing that to the charcoal grate in my WSM
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

sroach well done
well done

Very easy fix, that's pretty cool.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I noticed that the comments included a discussion of stainless vs. non-stainless steel. I think I'd opt for stainless because of the heat factor even if it's not coming into contact with the food.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice article, smokeybeaver!

I'd also go with stainless steel over galvanized because the latter gives off nasty fumes when heated.

As for their discussion on "cold-welding" steel, they seem to be making a bigger issue about it than is necessary. Such a thing doesn't happen often and it would be more likely with galvanized steel because of its coating - but you don't want to use that anyway. Looked like the commenters got sidetracked.

Besides - if they ever get stuck and you need to remove the handles, there are a vast number of power tools that will make this possible so there's no need to sweat. My favorite tool here would be my small impact wrench set on low. :twisted:

Here's a link to the original Instructables article:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-easy-BBQ-Grill-handles/

Incidentally, tutorials like these are the main reason I love the Instructables site. Less discussion (and fewer distractions from responders getting sidetracked), and much more how-to.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion