Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Would you buy a Burger Lift?

Would you buy a Burger Lift?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1055865822/burger-lift

And:

http://burgerlift.com

Interesting solution to an old problem. I think I will wait till the Dollar Tree store carries them.

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's an interesting idea but unless there's a lettuce leaf under the burger, isn't there a good chance that the bottom half of the bun will already be wet by the time there's enough juice to pool on the plate?

Taking the idea a little further, what about a plate with a built-in burger rest that contains drain holes? I can see someone like Hubert Keller using it, as he's big on presentation and unique dinnerware.

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I always thought that is one of the many jobs for the bun. Soak up (or as we say in the south) sop up the juice. In New orleans we rate our po-boys by # of napkins. A great roast beef po-boy should be a 4 napper. If it doesn't threaten your elbows the burger is over cooked. Just Sayin.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
I always thought that is one of the many jobs for the bun. Soak up (or as we say in the south) sop up the juice. In New orleans we rate our po-boys by # of napkins. A great roast beef po-boy should be a 4 napper. If it doesn't threaten your elbows the burger is over cooked. Just Sayin.

That's the way it's been with me as well. The bun does the job of this burger lift on its own. That's even more so if it's toasted.

Cute little idea, but it's a bit gimmicky for me. Besides, I have more than enough gadgets to play with this year already.

Here's this year's favorite - I've been supporting this company since they started selling their gear in Canada and I've got everything but their upcoming (and totally secret and unannounced) BaseCamp stove:
http://www.biolitestove.com/

In fact, this or next weekend I plan to try out a few things on the BioLite grill. Keep in mind that this is a wood-fired stove that gasefies the wood for better combustion (like a rocket stove), so the results ought to be more variable than a gasser or charcoal grill.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 am
BBQ Deputy

BubbaQue wrote:
If it doesn't threaten your elbows the burger is over cooked.
Great way to put it, BQ! I'm definitely stealing this for future conversations. :wink:

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

i would buy them just because there a unique i dea and there prety cool looking theay could be used to keep the burger off the plate completely personaley i dont like soggy buns might as well dipp them in water i think its a great idea
TIMS BBQ

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:40 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

timbarber84 wrote:
i would buy them just because there a unique i dea and there prety cool looking theay could be used to keep the burger off the plate completely personaley i dont like soggy buns might as well dipp them in water i think its a great idea

I suppose if the price was right, I would buy them too. I hope they get this off the ground before someone steals the idea - that happens a lot in manufacturing these days especially with most manufacturing being done in Asia.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 am
sroach well done
well done

Yet another thing I will put in the basement after first use.. :D

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:40 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Couldn't you just turn the burger over???

That's what I do with a pulled pork sammy
sauced with a thin suace.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:10 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

YardBurner wrote:

You mean just flip the burger upside down? :shock:

Umm, never thought of that. And since I almost always put a leaf or two of lettuce over the top patty, that would stop any drips.

These Burger Lifts are cute but I think I'll spend my cash on other gadgets. They might even do better with plastic ones in addition to metal ones.

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 am
BBQ Deputy

YardBurner wrote:

More juice in the bun, less in the plate works for me! I often flip wet sandwiches this way so that when I take a bite there's not a lot running down my chin and arms.

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Eat it faster?
Get seconds!
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Actually, it looks like a solution in search of a problem. I like to rest it in the juices anyhow and my burgers never sit around long enough to get soggy :wink:
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

I have had a few burgers at restaurants that they have not toasted the buns, and that I have cut in half, and the lower bun is a soggy, disgusting mess. I think this has a place, but not everywhere. Plus, it would be nice with a grilled cheese. I know sometimes I turn 1/2 my grilled cheese upside down because the warm bread meets the cold plate, and the one side starts getting soft.

I think a burger joint like Red Robin would be a great place for these, but they wrap their burgers in paper.

If a bread company would brand them and include a free plastic one with each bag of buns, now we are talking.

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:02 am
Trollby well done
well done

I have better stuff to waste my money on

Next

Return to General Discussion