Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Kingsford Competition Charcoal?

Kingsford Competition Charcoal?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 am
bbquy well done
well done

Has anyone used this yet? I have seen the guys using it on BBQ Pitmasters and I read some reviews. It's supposed to burn hotter. If anyone has used it I would appreciate your advice before I make the decision to spend the extra money on it.
Thanks
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (2)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

Post Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've used it in the WSM and Chargriller, can't say I've noticed that it burns hotter but there is less ash and from what I understand not all the binders and fillers of Kford blue. Personaly I like it.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I use it as my tailgating charcoal. It lights pretty fast, gives off good heat, and the ash is relatively coarse so cleanup is easier. I've never done a long cook with it, though.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 6:24 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for your feedback everyone!
currently: Jenn-Air 48,000 btu gasser, CG-Outlaw w/sfb, (2)Weber 22" Performer Gold, Weber Q

Post Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Old Smoker wrote:
I've used it in the WSM and Chargriller, can't say I've noticed that it burns hotter but there is less ash and from what I understand not all the binders and fillers of Kford blue. Personaly I like it.

I don't mind it at all - it has certainly much less ash than regular Kingsford. I like it for direct grilling. Ands since Royal Oak (my old standby) has jumped in price lately up here as well, so I'll buy a bag of Kingsford Competition when the price is right.

We're finally getting a Sam's Club up here in Edmonton, Canada, so I've also heard great things about their charcoal as well. I'll be trying it.

It's nice to have more charcoal options up here, finally. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 08, 2014 7:28 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

I just picked up a couple of big bags of it at Costco. Will be giving it a try.
Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sat May 10, 2014 4:53 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Let us know what you think! :bbq:

Post Tue May 27, 2014 12:37 am
well done
well done

Love it. Did my last two cooks with it. Burns hot and fires quick. Very consistent.
22.5 WSM

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:32 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for the update. I'll have to pick up a bag or 2!

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:54 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

I tried it this weekend. It lights up fast and burns hotter than the original with less ash as stated above. To me it seemed like it didn't last as long as the original.

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:56 pm
well done
well done

I'm just using it in the kettle for burgers, steaks and fish. The original is still what I use in the WSM, I seem to get a better burn time from it.
22.5 WSM

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:26 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Thank you for all of your advice everyone! :D

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 pm
BchrisL User avatar
rare
rare

I have used about 50 pounds of it over a while in my Lodge Hibachi. I don't see any difference in the way it burns from the regular Kingsford charcoal. It is a good product that has very predictable results. Not a lot of flavor from wood though.
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:19 pm
bbquy well done
well done

Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to try it for my July 4th BBQ!

Return to General Discussion