Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Volume grilling

Volume grilling

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 17, 2014 10:56 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Who here does mass amounts of grilling on those big, flat, open grills that're popular at swap meets, charity events, small-town festivals, and the like? Today I hung out with my dad at a truck show and lunch was hot dogs, Italian sausages, and burgers cooked on one of those grills; this one happened to be gas-fired but it seems that more often than not charcoal is the fuel of choice. When I was a kid we'd go to the corn & brat day in Walworth, WI every August and those grill-roasted ears of corn are in my mind still the best I've ever eaten.

Post Sun May 18, 2014 4:00 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I love grilled corn. Chef Tyler Florence did a mexican grilled corn with a sour cream, mayo, lime, parm, and cilantro spread that is messy but good. I have used one of those grills before. The gas is easier to control, hot side/cool side. I also used a few aluminum foil pans like a steam table to keep thing warm.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Sun May 18, 2014 5:14 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Every Year at the church bazaar I run 2 of those big long grills at once (charcoal). We do two 12 hour days, followed by an 8 hour day. I'm usually a burned out quivering mess at the end of it. We sell corn until we run out, which is usually the first day. Here's a picture I took from last year.

We slather them with an olive oil, lemon juice and garlic emulsion that looks a lot like mayonnaise and wrap them in foil - keeping them warm on the cooler part of the grill. They go for 3 bucks each like hot cakes.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

That looks amazing. I've got Donald Link's Post K Meatloaf in the oven. We're getting a lot of fresh corn now in Florida so I'll do that next weekend.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Tue May 20, 2014 9:54 am
BBQ Deputy

That corn looks and sounds really good, Scorch. Is the slather recipe a secret or can you share it here? :wink:

Post Tue May 20, 2014 11:11 am
well done
well done

Happy to share. I'm off to New York City in about an hour, but when I come back I'll dig it up for you.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 am
sroach well done
well done

YEs please share.. that wounds like a winner!

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I run a couple of these grills about 6 times a year for company and community picnics. The menu varies but usually there are steaks, brats or burgers, corn (in the husk is preferred up here), and grilled potatoes. I'm usually lobster-red from the heat by the end of the day (and that's with 50 SPF sunscreen applied regularly), but I normally only cook for 6 hours.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:43 pm
well done
well done

Ok Sroach - I'm a little late but here it is! I had to dig it out. And I forgot... :(

3 heads of garlic, peeled
4-5 cups of vegetable oil (canola)
1 lemon, freshly juiced
1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)

Instructions

Add the garlic and salt in the food processor and run for 10-20 seconds. Stop processor, scrape garlic down the sides then repeat the process 3-4 times until the garlic turns to a paste.

With the motor running, add 1/2 a cup of the oil in a very thin stream. You should see the garlic mixture begin to emulsify. Add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice very slowly, in a thin stream. Wait on it a few seconds until the lemon juice is well absorbed, then go back to repeating the same process of adding slowly ½ cup of oil, waiting a few seconds, then adding ½ teaspoon of lemon juice until you’ve used all ingredients. This process should take 8-10 minutes.

It's a bit of a tricky emulsion but once you get it right it looks like thick mayonnaise. We slather this on the corn after it comes off the grill and wrap them in aluminum foil.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 am
BBQ Deputy

That sounds like it'd be good on other things besides corn! Does it last well in the fridge for a few days?

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm
well done
well done

Yes Mr C, It's great on lots of grilled items - and we also spread a little of it on the Armenian Sausage (soujouk) sandwiches we sell! It will last a couple days in the fridge.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:41 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

Off topic a bit, but as I live close to the only working farm
in the City of Los Angeles, I buy their sweet white and yellow
corn all the time. They wind up on the coals or gas grill at least
4 times a week during the season. Very lightly brushed with canola
prior to the cook. Result-nice grill flavor and texture.

I pull down the husks but leave them on for
a fancier presentation if need be (husks should be
off/ outside of the heat). Some prefer to cook their corn while still
in the husk. I tried it, but it just steams the corn,
unless the husks get burned through, and then it gets messy.

Return to General Discussion