Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Waiter, There's Blood in My Sausage!

Waiter, There's Blood in My Sausage!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun May 25, 2014 12:11 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Wondering about everyone's take on the lesser loved cuts - you know the ones - Offal, variety meats - whatever you want to call them. Personally, they are tops in my arsenal. I've tried cooking them all - Kidneys, Rocky Mountain Oysters, Intestines, Liver, Sweetbreads, tripe, haggis and even udders (In Argentina).

My personal favorites are blood sausage and sweetbreads. Both are super easy to grill and fun to find. For me it's mostly the journey rather than the destination. Especialy with blood sausage because there are so many recipes and types. Check out the Biroldo (Italian Blood Sausage) I just had at Birrieria in New York City (Manhattan - Atop Mario Battali's Eataly in the flatiron district on 5th between 23rd and 24th). This was fantastic. Blood sausage is already cooked, so it's usualy a matter of crisping it up over a nice wood fire.

What have you tried that surprised you lately?
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sun May 25, 2014 2:26 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I love trying out new foods. If I dont like it I know not to order it again. This is probably a newbie thing but I had rabbit for the first time on Friday. It was really good and would eat it again for sure. I would like to try ostrage someday. I hear it is really good.

Post Mon May 26, 2014 8:32 am
Brentk rare
rare

Blood sausage is my favorite, too. Many European cultures have their own version but it is something that you rarely see on American menus, even from restaurants that serve foods from cultures in which blood sausage is part of the tradition. I like to re-heat blood sausages in a frying pan to crisp up the outside and then to serve it alongside sauteed onions.

Post Tue May 27, 2014 3:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And since blood sausage, black pudding and other similar sausages are usually a dark brown, burgundy or almost black color, it's tough for your guests to tell if you accidentally overcooked it. :D

I should also add that only a couple of family members would eat any kind of blood sausage. Fortunately I'm one of 'em. I can get biroldo from my favorite Italian supermarket at a very good price so I'll have to try it.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:22 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You guys are all way more adventurous than me! :lol:

I've seen episodes of Essential Pepin and Simply Ming where offal was featured and I have to admit that they helped demystify things a bit.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 am
Trollby well done
well done

I was taught to make my blood sausage different, I think it was more a Family thing since we make from scratch.

Stuffing all the casing sucks so we just use small coffee cans to make it (more a high-bread between Blood pudding and Blood Sausage).

Love me some, please pass the plate :)

Return to General Discussion