Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grind'em if you Got'em

Grind'em if you Got'em

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 27, 2014 12:24 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

For Memorial day I grilled some home ground hamburger with my Christmas present (A Waring professional meat grinder). I settled on the following that seems to make one heck of a burger.

2 Lbs Chuck
1 Lb Boneless Short ribs
Salt and pepper

Here's the way it worked best for me. If you haven't tried it, it's the best. No Pink Slime here.

I started with 2 Lbs Chuck and 1 Lb Boneless Short Ribs

Then I cut it up into about 1 inch cubes, put it on a sheet pan and froze it for about 15 minutes

I ran it through the 1/4 inch plate on my grinder (if you don't have one, it makes a heck of a Christmas present - so when she asks what you want for Christmas - tell her!)

Then I made balls out of the meat and gently pressed them into patties (don't over handle it)

I grilled them over a hot fire like I would my favorite burger, and assembled with toasted buns and... voila! These were awesome.

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue May 27, 2014 8:41 am
sroach well done
well done

Wow that is some fine ground beef! that picture of it in the bowl looks awesome.

How good was that burger? I was just reading an article about how to make the perfect burger. The first tip, grind your old beef. Store bought stuff is hit or miss, because you don't know how long it's been sitting.

Post Tue May 27, 2014 9:52 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

I had a butcher grind a boston butt and a brisket one time for me. Pork seems to take seasoning well. Pork sausage always taste better than beef sausage to me. The short ribs and chuck sounds like a great combo. I always use ground chuck for my burgers.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

You just gave me one more good reason to get a grinder, I've been hinting to the family but one hasn't appeared yet. Nice burgers.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 am
well done
well done

The burgers were great. Beef forward and juicy. I would use this combo again. What really amazed me was how well the patties bound together. With store bought it can fall apart on the grill (I barely mold them). I think it's because I used the finer die on the cutting plate - which worked out very well.
22.5 WSM

Post Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Scorch - did you cook them to well-done, or did you cook them a bit more medium or rare? That's one of the things I like about home-ground burgers: you don't have to cook 'em well-done if you don't want to.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 27, 2014 4:15 pm
well done
well done

Oddly enough, I like mine medium well. A lot of folks like them on the more rare side, but I find that medium well seems to be a bit juicier and a bit beefier, although that can change in the blink of an eye if you pull them off too late. I'm funny that way... :|
22.5 WSM

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, Scorch! I have a grinder (an ancient Montgomery Ward model from the '70s) but my annual beef order always includes plenty of burger so I haven't gotten around to grinding my own yet. Someday, though!

Return to General Discussion