Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ribs & 'shrooms

Ribs & 'shrooms

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted some back ribs but thought I'd try something new. Instead of using a barbecue-oriented rub I used some of Steven's Sicilian rub that's packaged under the Best of Barbecue name.
Image Image

I've bought stuffed mushrooms before but the store had portobello caps on sale so I thought I'd try my hand at making my own by cleaning the gills, adding olive oil, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese.
Image Image Image

I put everything on the Weber at around 325 degrees and used mostly charcoal with a few hickory shells tossed in for just a hint of smoke.

At about 90 minutes in everything was coming along nicely.

My mom had given me some asparagus the day before and this was a perfect opportunity to grill it up with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Image Image

I can't remember for sure but I think total cook time was a little over 2 hours.

Because of the higher heat the ribs had a nice crispness and the lack of smoke really let the flavor of the pork and Sicilian rub come through. I probably cooked the mushrooms a little too long and in retrospect I should've used less sausage in each cap, as the flavors of the cheeses and seasoning weren't as noticeable as I was hoping for. But overall things turned out pretty good and I'm definitely going to try making my own stuffed mushrooms again...maybe with just cheese next time.

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:36 pm
d_holck well done
well done

I'm on my way over. I hope you saved me a plate.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Darned if I forgot to send out those invitations! :lol:

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Need to get some ribs on the smoker, I have not done any in a long time and all vacuum packs I had are long gone.

Like the mushroom cap Idea, might have to try that

Thanks for sharing

Return to General Discussion