Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Kobe beef

Kobe beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:16 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm watching an episode of Simply Ming and he's working authentic Kobe beef in Osaka, Japan. He sliced up a steak for stir-fry and commented that that single piece of meat would probably retail for about $250 here in the US! That's way out of my league but I have to admit the marbling of the beef looks insanely good.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am
sott68 rare
rare

I watched a doc on Kobe beef. They believe the better the cattle live, in a stress free environment, the better and more tender the beef is when butchered. It showed these cows living the high life... fed the best grains and massaged several times a day by multiple dudes! They pick only the finest calves, raise them with no steroids or any artificial growth, feed them regularly and daily massages, in really nice accommodations.
Its a great life for the cows, I guess until they are butchered.
I have seen kobe beef at specialty markets for around $30/pound... its really red and marbled. I cant afford that cut but would be really interested in tasting.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:53 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

When I was in Japan in the '50s while serving in the Navy, I took a tour that included a Kobe Steak dinner at a 1st class restraint, and THAT experience has been a long remembered highlight of the tour. Even at $30/lb., I personally recommend that every BBQ cook try it at least one time - it is that good.

Besides the treatment already mentioned, they also feed the cows a quality Japanese beer daily.

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:51 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

I SAW ON A TV SHOW MANY YEARS AGO THAT A FULL KOBE BRISKET CAN COST UPWARDS OF 400 DOLLERS I WOULD HAVE TO PUT IT UNDER A GLASS CASE AND SET IT ON THE MANTEL FOR THAT PRICE LOL
TIMS BBQ

Return to General Discussion