Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sunday's Father's Day...who's cooking?

Sunday's Father's Day...who's cooking?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Anybody doing anything special for Father's Day this Sunday? Or just standard fare like burgers and sausages? Or maybe not even cooking at all?

We're doing a mix with a family drive into the Chi-burbs to meet my parents and Mrs. Chicken's parents for pizza for lunch, and for dinner it'll just be a couple of t-bones for the 3 of us here at home.

jayeffel well done
well done

My father -91 years old- is having a picnic for maybe six of us. Asked me to grill the chicken which he is supplying, more than likely chicken breasts. Using his gas grill. We are to take a salad also, but not potato salad. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:01 pm
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like it'll be a good time. I'm not a fan of potato salad so your dad's OK by me. :wink:

We've gone from 3 to 5 so I took a chuck steak out of the freezer to complement the 2 t-bones I was planning on grilling.

jstewart well done
well done

We're having steaks and corn on the cob. My younger son (he is 24) said he wanted to learn how to cooks steaks!! I win! :D :D
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

im doing ribeyes for my girlfriend and i with corn on the cob and grilled onions going to bates the corn with garlic butter and the onions with olive oil baked potato and pineapple upside down cake
TIMS BBQ

Old Smoker well done
well done

Keeping it simple with burgers and dogs.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

BubbaQue well done
well done

I grilled last night. Posted on the June Block Party link. Taking it easy today. My sister and nephew will be in tomorrow for three weeks so the grill will get plenty of work.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:10 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Had a graduation party Sunday so no grilling by me, but ate brats and burger at party.

Saturday did pork-chops on the grill

jayeffel well done
well done

Afterward report: My father invited us to a picnic and asked me to grill chicken breasts. And he specified no potato salad- we all like it but gets to be a bit much every time. My sister-in-law was to bring scalloped potatoes.

Since I knew what my father usually gets for breasts, I figured I'd simply baste them with butter or olive oil, maybe use a some bay seasoning -his touch. I had bought a gas gauge for his grill so he could see if he had any left!

When I got to his house, almost before we said hi, I was told "Here is the chicken, Roy started the grill". So, no gas gauge to start with. And the chicken was just being taken out of a marinade; ingredients unknown to me, other than garlic. The chicken pieces were eight thighs and eight breasts halved, so small it was hard to handle them. The grill was "sprayed" with Pam, not oiled and I saw no oil. So, I grilled the thighs basting them periodically. When they were done-to my liking anyway- I replaced them with the breasts, grilling them the same way. My brother and sister-in-law came with her scalloped potatoes which were actually store bought potato salad, she probably could not find store bought scalloped potatoes already made.

The chicken was good, everyone said so, but in the words of my father uses when he cooks, "At least no one died". We had four salads and the chicken, plus a few other items.

After the grill cooled down I did manage to install the gas gauge and he was relieved to see he had plenty of gas-in the propane tank that is. :lol:
Last edited by jayeffel on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:30 pm
BBQ Deputy

Nice job "cooking blind", Jay!

BBQ Deputy

Here are the T-bones and the chuck steak I grilled. I kept them simple with just salt and pepper.
Image Image

My kids gave me a set of skewers for asparagus rafts.

No explanation needed. :wink:
Image Image

The skewers really made the asparagus easy to work with, and because they're flat they're less likely to split the stalks.

I didn't realize until we were cleaning up that I'd forgotten to grab a shot of the cut steaks. This is the chuck; the T-bones were long gone by then! :lol:

Return to General Discussion