Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Building the Tandoor Oven

Building the Tandoor Oven

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:17 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

This looks like a cool project:

http://food52.com/blog/3388-liyna-and-anum-s-big-feast-building-the-tandoor-oven

My issue right from the start: how do I know the terra cotta at the store is lead free. I doubt that it is marked.

Also, once it is built, I don't see an easy way to get the ashes out. I would hate to build something like this for a one time use.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I suspect the country of manufacture has a lot to do with it and any good garden center should be glad to help you find a lead-free pot once you explained the situation.

I agree; cool project! :thumbup:

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

smokeybeaver wrote:
This looks like a cool project:

http://food52.com/blog/3388-liyna-and-anum-s-big-feast-building-the-tandoor-oven

My issue right from the start: how do I know the terra cotta at the store is lead free. I doubt that it is marked.

Also, once it is built, I don't see an easy way to get the ashes out. I would hate to build something like this for a one time use.

Well, you could possibly coat the inside with fire clay, which would seal out any lead in the pot (assuming you had lead-free fire clay...). It would take some work to smooth the surface, but it might take care of the lead problem. It would also add some thermal mass to the tandoor, and that may or may not improve the unit too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:43 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

Yes, ash removal appears to be a problem. The only convenient solution that came to mind was a low cost hand-held vacuum with a snout long enough to reach the bottom of the burn chamber. I would assume that this vacuum would be dedicated to this function only.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Donald1800 wrote:
Yes, ash removal appears to be a problem. The only convenient solution that came to mind was a low cost hand-held vacuum with a snout long enough to reach the bottom of the burn chamber. I would assume that this vacuum would be dedicated to this function only.

I'd hope that vacuum had a very fine filter such as a HEPA filter. Otherwise, I can say from sad personal experience that they can blow fine ash all over the place.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion