Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chargriller Temperature Control

Chargriller Temperature Control

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 pm
aflevine rare
rare

Smoking ribs, I've had a number of bad experiences with hot spots inside the Chargriller. Under the meat, I use a large aluminum pan filled halfway with water and beer. Generally, it's a good heat-sink and the thermometer temperature hovers around 225. However, ribs near the side-car either burn or I'm opening the grill to shift the meat around too frequently. I thought about trying to slide the tray of water right next to the side-car opening to essentially block most of the heat. Is this the trick? Before I ruin more ribs, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks ... Adam

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I know some Chargriller users invert the ash tray in the main grill (the half barrel looking item) and keep it next to the add on side grill . That makes the heat (most anyway) go under all the grill before going out the chimney.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 am
aflevine rare
rare

Jay,

If I understand you correctly, there are bolts extending into the main barrel from the side-car. While I could probably turn over the main barrel insert (grease and ash trap) and rest it on the bolts to channel the head away from the side-car opening, I then lose the surface on which I'm supporting the tray of water, which is key to keeping the temperature 225. If I took a rolled piece of metal like the insert, perforated 2/3 of it, and somehow attached a flat grill on top of the hump on which to put the tray of water, that might work. Has anyone taken the mods to this extreme?

I know that many here use the Chargriller. Has anyone licked this hot-spot problem?

Thanks ... Adam

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

I use to do the inverted charcoal tray and it does work but if you want to keep the tray in place you may be able to find an old cookie sheet that will fit across the width of the cooking chamber and just drill holes in it.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

aflevine wrote:
Jay,

If I understand you correctly, there are bolts extending into the main barrel from the side-car. While I could probably turn over the main barrel insert (grease and ash trap) and rest it on the bolts to channel the head away from the side-car opening, I then lose the surface on which I'm supporting the tray of water, which is key to keeping the temperature 225. If I took a rolled piece of metal like the insert, perforated 2/3 of it, and somehow attached a flat grill on top of the hump on which to put the tray of water, that might work. Has anyone taken the mods to this extreme?

I know that many here use the Chargriller. Has anyone licked this hot-spot problem?

Thanks ... Adam

Yes - I actually took care of the issue by flipping the charcoal tray, pushing it right up to the wall of the main chamber, and doing away with a water pan altogether. It's worked great for 6 years now.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:31 pm
jstewart well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:

Yes - I actually took care of the issue by flipping the charcoal tray, pushing it right up to the wall of the main chamber, and doing away with a water pan altogether. It's worked great for 6 years now.

Ditto on flipping the charcoal tray. I just invert and use the handles to hang on the supports on each end. There is still a little gap coming from the side firebox, but the rest of the heat spreads throughout the chamber. About a month ago, I put on two pork butts, a brisket, and two racks of baby backs and the temps were nice and steady.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion