Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How do YOU grill corn - done now w/a cpl of pics

How do YOU grill corn - done now w/a cpl of pics

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've never done this before so I'm throwing it out to the members here. I'll also be grilling boneless, skinless breasts and potatoes and would like everything done close enough together. I've read soaking in the husk, peel the husk and wrap in foil, peel the husk and grill direct, peel the husk and remove silk re-wrap it's making my head spin, I want the easiest and fastest way that won't leave charred kernels and this is only because my grand daughter is picky. I'm doing all this on my good old CG which I finally had to order a new charcoal tray for after 6 yrs.
Last edited by Old Smoker on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:00 am
jayeffel well done
well done

What I do is peel the husk back, pull off silk, the bundle the husks to make a handle which you can tie- I haven't yet. When grilling I put the ears on the grill with husk handles off the grill surface, basting with olive oil u as you turn. The corn will not scorch but will look like it! The sugar in the corn caramelizes and turns black. I'm not saying you cannot burn them.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I peel the husk except for the last layer, which acts as a buffer between the fire and the kernels. Once it starts to char the corn itself is usually pretty much done and then it's time to peel, strip, and eat.

As far as soaking goes I soak mine after...in butter!! :wink:

Old Smoker well done
well done

okay so I tried it and it really is pretty good I see why you can skip the butter. I started with the husk on and soaked in water, grilled over a medium heat until the husk started to brown then wrapped in paper and into a cooler. When I took it out of the cooler it felt like it cooled down some so I removed the husk and back onto the grill for a few minutes. The foil packet has diced potatoes.

sorry no pics pf the grilled chicken that went with it but I got a late start but I did want to post the corn, again thanks I will do this again.

BBQ Deputy

Looks like it turned out just fine...but you grilled more that 4 ears, right? :wink:

Old Smoker well done
well done

No SC I only did the 4 and now I regret it but I was not wanting to do more just in case. I couldn't tell how much husk I had pulled off before grilling but when the husk charred the way it did and I could see the corn I pulled it off and wrapped it, I felt it was probably cooked enough considering it had been on the grill almost 30 minutes, I chalked it all up to 1st time jitters. I also pulled the charred husk off before taking it in just for appearance and that's when I felt it had cooled so that's why the naked grill, it lightly browned a few kernels here and there but there was no complaints.

sott68 rare
rare

I slather the ears in lots of butter, salt and pepper and put them right on the grill... just roll them around a bit and take off when they get a little brown. This has never failed me, they are usually sweet, juicy and delicious!

I also like to do potato wedges - maybe brush with some olive oil and cook right on the grill. I eat them with a garlic-mayonnaise/sour cream sauce and they are amazing! like big grilled French fries!

1 cup mayo, 1 cup sour cream, dash of garlic powder, minced chives, salt and pepper - its an amazing sauce!

smokeybeaver well done
well done

I realize it is after you have done your cook, but here goes, I use Steven's recommendation to cook over high heat, and I pull all of the husks back and tie them off with string to serve as a handle.

My go to recipe is this one:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/odtjctk

I will add a little chipotle and ancho powder to the mayo mixture. Just a pinch of each chili powder. The recipe says it is for four ears. I made a 1/4 batch of the sauce and it was enough to do 3-4 ears. If I make a whole batch of the mayo sauce, I end up throwing some away after it sits in the fridge for a while.

If you want something different, try this one:

http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/09/the_return_of_restaurant_reque.html

It is from a popular Thai street food joint with locations in Portland & New York.

I have tried the soaking, with milk, ice water, and adding salt & sugar, and it was not worth the time nor hassle. I do try to use good ingredients, like right now Brentwood corn from Colorado.

I could eat an ear of corn every day during the summer.

BBQ Deputy

Not too long ago we were having a late, wet spring and a lot of farmers were concerned about the corn crop, but now it's looking a lot better. Granted, the vast majority is field corn (which actually isn't bad if it's eaten really young) but I'm hoping the local sweet corn hits the market before too long.

Return to General Discussion