Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My take on Philly roast pork

My take on Philly roast pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:08 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The first Philadelphia sandwich non-residents think of is usually the cheesesteak, but because The Interwebs expose all secrets apparently there a roast pork sandwich that the locals appreciate just as much. Last weekend I found a pork loin roast on sale so I grabbed it and decided to put together my version of Philly roast pork (that sounds like an America's Test Kitchen promo).

I seasoned it all over with Weber Steak and Chop seasoning.

Any excuse to use the rotisserie, right?

I used sesame-seeded sub rolls from the local grocery store, home-shredded provolone cheese, and a 50/50 mix of beef and chicken broths to approximate pork broth. The authentic version includes broccoli rabe but I couldn't find any at the store...but that didn't bother me too much. Less veg means more room for meat and cheese. :wink:

Winner winner sandwich dinner! As you can see I like my dip-style sandwiches on the wet side and this one was really good, with flavors from the seasoning, cheese, and broth. And because of the size of the roast I had enough leftovers for several lunches, and with one I substituted Swiss cheese for a different but equally good taste. Frankly, the next time I grill a Baltimore pit beef I just might serve it French-dip style as well.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:10 pm
Askanison medium
medium

Nice take on it.
i dont have a rotissiere but i may try this any way.
just smoke it for a couple of hours.
maybe in a pan since it doesnt have alot of fat.
hmmm...my mind is thinking away.

on a side note I go to the real deal's place http://tommydinics.com about once a month or so.
i work across the street from them.
best sandwich in America according to that show. :)
here's some video too. http://www.travelchannel.com/video/fina ... inics-pork

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Wow - that's a gorgeous sandwich. I was thinking porchetta with that roast - but you nailed it, Chicken style! Excellent work.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

dang my mouth is watering i would have to roll the sleeves up for that one i think im going to give it a try really nice
TIMS BBQ

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Brad - do you mean that all this time I've been cooking rotisserie pork in this exact same style I've been cooking "Philly roast pork"?
That's just weird. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, everybody! Truth be told I couldn't remember if cheese and jus are part of a proper Philly roast pork sandwich but I felt they fit in just fine! :lol:

Return to General Discussion