Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Lamb Chops w/ Herbs De Provence

Lamb Chops w/ Herbs De Provence

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm
Askanison medium
medium

Tried Stevens recipe for lamb chops from the bbq bible book.
came out pretty good.
cooked it to medium.
i've never grilled lamb before, i just order it in restaurants.
a side of country potatoes and mixed veggies.

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:18 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Bet that tasted as good as it looks. Hope that gets you to grilling more lamb now. I wish more people in this country would eat lamb - heck, 1,000,000 coyotes can't be wrong!
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice, Askanison! Was the meat nice and mild?

I'm as guilty as anyone of not grilling more lamb. Even though it was fine the last time I cooked some I still have that fear of getting some that's too muttony, and the lamb that I know won't be comes with a pretty stiff price tag. Still, once in awhile wouldn't kill me...

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 pm
Askanison medium
medium

yes it was nice and mild.
a little fatty but the price was inexpensive, so i went for it to give it a try.
i'll be trying again.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Maybe I should try lamb/mutton sometime. Never had it in front of me, nor have I been around anywhere it is served as far as I know.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jay, based on my extremely limited experience if you do try lamb try to get some from a younger, smaller animal as the meat will have a milder flavor. One of the suppliers around here has a 10 month/150 pound rule .

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Jay, based on my extremely limited experience if you do try lamb try to get some from a younger, smaller animal as the meat will have a milder flavor. One of the suppliers around here has a 10 month/150 pound rule .

Great looking lamb chops, Askanison! :cheers:

SC - That's if you like it mild (I don't always). Here's another tip for finding the mildest lamb: look for spring lamb. Outside the US that's a common term for the youngest, most tender and mildest lamb and it's usually 3-5 months old. It's expensive but it's great stuff.

"Lamb" in a lot of countries outside the US refers to sheep that's 12 months old or less. However, from what I've seen, in the US it can mean sheep of any age, and that means you could actually be buying mutton.

Since I happen to like grilled mutton, I look for it. And I look for it specifically because I don't want to pay the higher price for mutton disguised as lamb. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion