Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A Double Whammy From Sauces and Rubs

A Double Whammy From Sauces and Rubs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:05 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Friday after work I took out my old sauce stained, dog eared copy of Steven's BBQ Sauces and Rubs - I think this was my first of his BBQ books. It brought back so many fond memories of discovery when everything was new. Years (and many Raichlen books) later I'm still at hard it and everything still seems new, but in an even better different way. So I was thumbing through it and remembered how awesome his Pastrami cure was. So I picked up a nice big Turkey Breast and went to work.

Turkey Pastrami, ready to cure overnight in the fridge

Saturday morning, I smoked it over alder wood to about 180. And sliced it with a deli slicer. That should hold me for this weeks sandwiches. The taste was out of this world. I may never buy cold cuts again.

But wait, there's more! After I sliced it and put it away, my wife smelled all that nice smoke and says "We should BBQ tonight". Needless to say, that was music to my ears. Out came the book again and I looked up the fresh herb Tuscan Rub. I smeared it all over a tri tip and fired up the grill. Since I had that big old grill going, I figured I'd throw some peppers on there and grill a couple ears of corn. I vacuum packed the peppers and put them in the freezer (they freeze well and they are there when I need them). We feasted al fresco on that tri tip, corn and a green salad with two nice glasses of Malbec. Summer has officialy arrived at my house!

36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:43 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

That all looks fantastic. I have that book, I am going to look those recipes up and give them a try.

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That was my first SR book, too, Scorch...a gift from Mrs. Chicken IIRC. I know I've never made pastrami but the Tuscan rub does sound somewhat familiar.

I bought some turkey pastrami over the weekend and it has the red color one would associate with beef pastrami...I would guess it's for marketing/consumer purposes and isn't much of a factor as far as the flavor goes. Some kind of colored brine or injection, perhaps?

Nice job with the grilling, too! Seeing that corn reminded me that the local crop's starting to come in so I need to get busy!

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am
well done
well done

I think the pinkinsh color comes from the sodium nitrate (pink salt) used as a curing agent in most commercially available pastrami.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

scorched_porch wrote:
I think the pinkinsh color comes from the sodium nitrate (pink salt) used as a curing agent in most commercially available pastrami.

Scorch, you're absolutely right. I had a discussion with the butcher of my favorite deli last month about this, in fact. He says he tries to stay away from the artificially-colored cured meats, as it actually looks slightly "off" to him compared to the meat cured with just nitrates (and no dyes).

He also says the artificially-colored meats don't seem to sell as well, either. His customers are getting more educated, I guess... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:39 pm
well done
well done

A couple interesting things to add - Thing 1) Pink Salt is pink so it isn't mistaken for regular salt. Thing 2) And I think this is important. Botulism’s name comes from a cured meat product: botulus is Latin for sausage. So I'm not afraid of curing meats with a little pink salt.
36" Argentine Grill
Weber Performer

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

The funny thing about writing cookbooks for a living is that I'm always working on new recipes and I rarely go back to re-cook the old ones. So thanks for the memories. Yeah, that turkey pastrami is killer.

Return to General Discussion