Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Best Jucy Lucy so far

Best Jucy Lucy so far

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For Father's Day my kids gave me one of those presses for making stuffed burgers so I put it to use not too long ago. The directions call for putting 8 oz. of ground beef in the press and then using 4 oz. for the cap, but my beef comes in 1-pound tubes so I made a pair of 8 oz. shells after salting the meat.

I made the mushroom stuffing backwards: instead of chopping the mushrooms and then browning them I browned them and a little garlic first so they wouldn't cook down to nothing and then ran them through the food processor.
Image Image

Will there be cheese? Of course there will be cheese! :wink: In this case it was provolone and Colby-jack cut into small cubes.

Then I put the 2 halves together and added a bacon wrap to help seal the seam.
Image Image

Uh-oh...cheese blowout! Fortunately that was the only breach and not all that much was lost. Plus it gave me a little advance tasting opportunity. :wink:
Image Image

Anyone want to guess what might be inside?

Was your guess correct? :wink:

This was by far the best stuffed burger I've made. The pockets created by the press allowed for plenty of filling and we actually set the burger halves on edge so that all the cheese and mushrooms wouldn't run out onto the plate.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

That looks awesome. So you thought the press worked well? You would recommend it?
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:33 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Daaaang!! Dat's a good lookin burger! :cheers:

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:32 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Now if anything belongs on the BBQB home page it's THAT. A thing of beauty. Nice work!
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, guys!

Bubba, I'd definitely recommend the press. It's just plastic and pretty simple, so it shouldn't cost very much.

I think that if I'd followed the directions there probably wouldn't have been any leakage. Start with the burger's cover side down so that it picks up some color and marks before the cheese inside starts to seriously melt, and then finish it on the shell side. With the seam between the cover and the shell being at or above the level of the filling it's a lot less likely that anything's going to escape, but the downside is that you don't get a 1-pound burger with a boatload of goo inside. :lol:

One thing I forgot to mention is that I cooked the burger indirect the whole time. By heating the grate directly over the coals and then rotating it 180 degrees to the cool zone after adding the burger the iron stayed hot enough to add some marks without having to put the meat right above the fire.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm
Askanison medium
medium

got a burger press too.
i had to finish on indirect. too think normal way.
half pound burger was alot but tasty.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Mr C, I couldn't get that pocket in the burger that the press created out of my mind. Which naturally led me down the path of "What If". So - What If you cracked an egg in that pocket and cooked the burger off heat, indirect. Think you'd get a nice oozey yolk from the middle of your burger? That would send it over the top for me.
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:33 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks great!!!
Definitely the best stuffed burger I’ve ever seen.

Post Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:26 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

That is one wickedly good looking burger.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great looking burger, Brad! Is that a smoke ring I see on it as well?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks!

Yes, there's a little bit of pink but some of it might be related to me thoroughly seasoning the meat at the start, too.

Scorch, that would be a pretty interesting burger! Certainly plenty of places offer burgers with an egg on top but I like that twist.

Hey, how about a turkey burger with gravy and stuffing in the middle... :wink:

Return to General Discussion