Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion August's Online Block Party - The World's Best Hot Dog

August's Online Block Party - The World's Best Hot Dog

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

timbarber84 wrote:
im going to have to try that potato saled dog looks good but a hotdog chared black between the thumb and forfinger is good to

Why thank you, Tim!

Seems to me there are many right solutions to this quest. I too have a warm spot in my heart for charred meats. My problem is I have found for myself that some dogs do not char so easily. :D
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Way to go, Brad! Your dogs look so inviting to me. You remind me that sometimes the world's greatest dog is the mustard dog in some fashion. Mustard is all a dog really needs!-- Gourmet dogs can be fun to try, but they do not necessarily improve anything already great in itself. Sometimes, gourmet even ruins things! :lol: :cheers:

I had previously posted some pics but then removed the post. But since you mention the Dodgers Dog, I'll see how much I can restore.
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I've got to show you these "California-style" Red Hots from Farmer John, a regional favorite, and from the same folks who make the ever famous LA Dodgers dogs. We're talking some serious heat here and they are already hardwood smoked. Check out the coloring!

Now let me show you these on the grill.

I succeeded in blistering the skins open.

I previously forewarned of a mac 'n cheese dog. Here are a few pics that show what that looks like. You can see that I did not use standard hotdog rolls, but rather opted for what is essentially the ever light and airy telera rolls, just shaped a little differently. One can sure pack a lot of toppings in those.

These could have made for a wild meal for a Chargers/Bears game! :cheers:

Next up to bat are made from some Hebrew National Beef Knockwursts. I scored these for the advantages that scoring offers. I also smoke roasted them with plenty of hickory smoke-- Yummm! First will come the corned beef hash dog, then the SloppyJoe dog.

Who needs grillmarks, right?

Once again you can see just how much n the way of toppings these bolillo rolls will accommodate one. This Sloppy Joe dog is a real meatlover's dog

Got beer???

BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

There's a "Peanuts" strip where Charlie Brown and Linus are eating hot dogs and Charlie Brown makes the comment that a hot dog just doesn't taste the same without a baseball game. Very true words!

I got some all beef Kirkland brand dogs . They came 24 to a bag so I split them up,into 4 packs and vacuum bagged them and put them in the freezer.

Today I took a pack out of the freezer and placed it unopened in the crock pot set to run around 190 200. It ran for two hours until time for supper. I also started the gas grill and preheated it hot. I took the bag out of the crock pot , opened it and put the dogs on the grill after spraying them with a little oil. I left them on just long enough to get those diagonal grill marks and turned them for the other side. I then placed them on the top rack and turned the gas off for a little while to keep them warm while I went inside to prep the onions and rolls.

They were wonderful. Just right. The skins absorbed the smoke flavor without that burned taste and the inside was perfectly cooked.

They still don't taste the same without a ballgame in front.

GO NATIONALS! NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE EASTERN DIVISION !
We got your number this year, Atlanta....
Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Chris! Now I know why I couldn't find the strip...that's Shermy, not Linus! :oops:

Those are some killer hot dogs and sausages, BC! I don't think Farmer John products are sold around here but if they were I'd definitely get my hands on some of those red hots! :thumbup:

I grilled some hot dogs over the weekend and just finished one for breakfast. No pics for probably a week, though...

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Looking forward to your new dogs, Brad. I have one more for you, using another Red Hot. You already know the open faced chili burger (chili size), right? How about an open faced chili dog? Chili is homemade. I really enjoyed this one. :cheers:

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

Very nice! You could even slip it under the broiler for a final browning!

I would've guessed your chili was homemade...it doesn't have that brown canned look.

BBQ Deputy

While I generally prefer my hot dogs adorned with anything other than mustard and occasionally some chili and cheese, a couple of weekends ago I decided to get some bacon involved. The first step was to get some hot dogs of decent size.

I started by giving them a little color but not completely cooking them.

After it cooled a little bit I cut a slit in each one and added some slivers of Colby-jack cheese.

You all saw this coming, didn't you. :lol: That's 2 slices of Oscar Mayer bacon on each dog.

The finished product. It was a little more work cooking the hot dogs in 2 stages but I think it added a level of completeness I wouldn't have gotten with only the last stage.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

First, I thank you for responding, Brad! A brilliant idea you had about the broiler! Good way to get the cheese melted. I admit, I'm proud of the taste of my chili. To think, with the white onions and orange cheese, had I put some blue food coloring into my chili (or at least added some blueberries to the plate), I would have made a Chicago Bears Dog!

Now, I say that was a stroke of genius you had in the cheese stuffing idea! I like the way you limited the slits before the ends so as to better contain the cheese. They look delicious! You'd be a hero out here! May I ask how you served those?

I have one more to post later-- a Reuben inspired on a telera roll. :cheers:
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Back again. This story begins with a couple Hebrew Natural knockwursts that I grilled on my little tailgater. The little guy is hot and quick and makes charring easy.

As I said, this one was Reuben inspired. I topped the wursts with plenty of mustard, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, French salad dressing, and sliced tomato.

Here is a stand up side view that better shows the cheese. You can see how much how much these telera rolls can wonderfully hold! I see these making for a great "dining" dog. :bbq:

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

That's a nice adaptation of a reuben, BC! Certainly a good hot dog would be equal to corned beef in terms of flavor and saltiness so it looks like it really works, and the tomato's an interesting twist.

To answer your previous question, I put the bacon dogs on regular white buns and topped them with yellow mustard, although I upgraded to bakery buns as the packaged commercial buns seemed like they might be a little small.

Y'know, they were pretty close to pigs-in-a-blanket and a Weber grill does work for baking rolls... :wink:

scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Hey BC - I love your Reuben idea! Ingenious!
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you much, SP and Brad! :D

SP--I find myself hoping you'll post some dogs, too. :cheers:

Brad--That sounds sooo good with the mustard! I may have one last one to post later, I'm inclined to finish off with something along the lines of a classic baseball game dinner, including peanuts in the shell and Cracker Jacks on the side! :D
Got beer???

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Here is my last hoorah for this month. Intending something of a baseball game dinner, I started with my last remaining "Red Hot." You already know what that looks like grilled. I did indirect some bacon to go along with it, however.

...And here we go-- a hotdog platter to keep me busy snacking throughout the game. From left to right, you can see Cracker Jacks, potato salad, the dog, peanuts and pretzel sticks.

Lastly, here is a macro of the dog, topped with bacon strips, lots of mustard, relish and chopped onion. "O, take me out to the ball game!" :D :cheers: :bbq:

Got beer???

BBQ Deputy

With a spread like that I think you could've easily handled a doubleheader! :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion