Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion bone in or out

bone in or out

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:01 pm

So i am breaking in char-griller with a 9.5 lb boston butt and a turkey breast. Should i remove the bone from the Turkey? Also i am goin to add 12 ABT's and the barbecue cabbage. Nothing says guinea pigs like inlaws at a barbecue.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:20 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

I'd leave it in. It'll give you something to make broth from once your done eating off of it.

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:03 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I would agree with bone in

E

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:45 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Keep the bone in and wrap the whole thing with pre-soaked cheesecloth (in broth or apple juice). The cheesecloth allows the smoke to reach the meat and keeps it plenty moist.
Enjoy!

Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:06 am
Big D well done
well done

bone in for sure.. adds flavour and can be used as a broth.. plus it will hold the heat well and help cook the meat from inside out...

while I agree with wrapping the meat in cheescloth, try maple syrup on the bird and soak the cheesecloth in butter... you will not be disapointed with maple turkey, trust me...

Post Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:14 am
cmcadams well done
well done

If you haven't tried it, BBQ USA has a coffee/molasses brine for turkey breast that is really incredible.

and not to be too picky, but if you make liquid stuff from the bones, it's stock, not broth... broth you make with the meat still on, too, and it is less gelatinous. But smoked bones are great for making stock.
Curt M
Bucky McOinkum's BBQ
Website
Blog

Return to General Discussion