Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Exact method for Indirect grilling on Weber gas grill

Exact method for Indirect grilling on Weber gas grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
thepuma raw
raw

What is the proper temperature to indirect grill on a gas grill with three burners? My Weber grill gets pretty hot, and I'm not sure what setting the two burners should be at.

Would the indirect settings be different for, say, beer can chicken vs. ribs?

Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:57 pm
PaulP

The "method" is to turn one or more burners off and place the food over the cold burners. The temperature varies depending on what you're cooking. It is impossible to say how many burners should be on or what teir setting should be. The objective is to maintain a specific temperature, and it is strongly affected by the outside temperature, wind and variations in a particular grill. Possibly even by the phases of the moon and position of the planets :-). The only way to do it is to have an accurate thermometer and use it. One tip: it takes a few minutes for adjustments to take effect, so wait between changes o see what's happening.

As for temperatures, I cook beerchicken between 325 and 350 for 45 min or so, until internal temp of thigh is 175. I find 180 to be overcooked. Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.

It sounds like you're a newcomer to grilling, so I'd suggest getting a Copy of Steve's book How to Grill, or another basic grilling cookbook.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:16 pm

It's tough to say what setting you should use because there are so many variables. Is your grill in a cold wind that will rob it of heat? Is the outside temperature hot or cold, are you in the sun or shade. The only way to tell exactly what is going on in the grill it a thermometer.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:57 pm
Keith

For indirect grilling on a Weber leave the middle burner off. Adjust the front and back burners to the temperatuer you need. On my Weber, for 350 degrees I set the front and back burners at Medium. You have to look it the thermometer thah is in the lid.

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:40 pm

yes it must be the middle burner turned off and this will create a converction style cook ... what does this mean it means chicken will get brownd on top without having to flip over ... it is hard to resist the urge to but it does ... and yes around medium is usually the best temp but it does depend what your cooking and how long you want to cook it for

Return to General Discussion