Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chuck Roast

Chuck Roast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:22 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm in the process of cleaning out my freezer to make room for my newfound Christmas beef and came across several chuck roasts that I don't know where they came from. But far be it for me to let food go to waste (I let it go to waist :wink: ), does anybody have any favorite ways to prepare this cut?

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:43 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

I like to season it well with some salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic salt, and let it sit for 2-3 hours in a nice port wine. Then I put in on the rack and cook it in the oven at about 350. I know that it is not grilling, and getting my hands on a roast, any type, is a chore because the wife is not a big carnivore, so that is the way I make it. Reminds me of when I lived at home and mom made it with gravy and mashed potatoes and fresh crescent rolls. Gee, I'm hungry now. That's the problem with this board, all this talk of food makes me hungry! :D

Post Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:55 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Wow chuck roast. That reminds me of my mother who used to cook them to dark brown and dry, and she wasn't smoking them either. I would guess your best bet would be to braise it nice and slow like a brisket. Add some root veggies and you have good old comfort food.

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:47 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I had forgotten about this thread until now. I cooked one the other night. The kids wanted a "pot roast." I covered it with salt and pepper and browned it in a dutch oven. I dumped in some beef broth, tomato paste, sugar, a couple of bay leaves and some garlic and a couple of chopped onions. About 30 minute before it was falling apart I dumped in some carrots and quartered potatoes. It was fantastic. Falling apart tender.

Return to General Discussion