Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Getting pulled pork to pull

Getting pulled pork to pull

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:44 pm
flints

I have a brinkmann smoke and grill and I've tried twice now to make Carolina style pulled pork. The first time I used lump charcoal and wood chunks, second time around I bought the electric adapter to control the heat. Both times I used a 6 pound bone in shoulder, dry rubbed the night before and used hickory and apple chunks for smoke. Charcoal smoked for 7 hours and the electric smoked for 9 1/2. Both times the meat was incredibly tasty and very juicy but nowhere near pullable. I served it both chopped and sliced but I want it to get to the point that I can just shred it off the bone. What am I doing wrong. There is a water pan in there that I was thinking may keep it too moist.

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:19 pm

What was the internal temp? I have read in The BBQ Bilbe that if you grill it till its 195 degrees it falls off the bone

Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:14 pm
Chris

Did Pulled Pork this weekend. Brought the internal temp to about 197, Took for-ever, but when it was done it passed the "pull- test". I grabbed hold of the bone, gently pulled, and it slid right out. 7.5lb boston butt.

I've found that pulling at less than 185 doesn't work well, and above 190 is best.

Cheers!

Chris

Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:19 pm

sounds like you cooked an exceptional piece of meat but i agree that you undercooked for the pull off the bone cook that you were after either increase cooking temp 50 degrees or so or have another beer and wait till it is ready

Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:01 am
lynn

When I cook pork it is usually anywhere from 12 to 48 butts at a time, so I don't baby the meat. First I start with good meat--super trim boston butt, normally Morel. I use a dry rub any where from 12 hours to 2 hous before I cook. I cook with the fat side down with nearly inderect heat until an internal temp of 175-180 degrees f. I wrap in heavy duty foil and let the meat rest and finsih cooking for at least an hour. It always pulls fine. These folks talking about an internal temp of 195 are cooking the meat to death and drying it out, which will not help it pull.

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:35 pm
bbqman3341 rare
rare

it's been my experience that pork will pull best from a fresh pork or green as we call it, ham. the shoulders and butts are better for slicing and chopping. there is nothing worse than a cooked to death piece of pork. try cooking a ham instead of the shoulders and butts and see if that helps.
greetings from georgia,
scott

Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:23 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I must agree with the first few responses - my experience shows that when I bring the internal temp to 190-195 the pork will almost shred itself, however anything less than 190 and you might as well forget about having pulled pork. Wrapping in foil for the last 45 minues or so will also help

Return to General Discussion