Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Last Match

Your Last Match

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:39 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's the situation--you only have one match, what do you cook? (And no outsmarting the question, you can't use the lit fire to light the fires in 7 other grills, a smoker, and the pit you just built . . . answer in the spirit it was asked! )

Let's hear what you'd grill. (I'm voting for salmon with my fiery mango salsa.)

Info
Last edited by Info@Workman on Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:18 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Assuming the use of foil and other post caveman cooking apparatus.

I love anything jerked so much I almost always do a small batch no matter what else is on the menu.

Be it chicken, pork, tuna of goat. Yes, goat.

And hobo packs (foil wrapped). Each diner can customize there own from an assortment of veggies and seasonings. Really stops the wrinkled noses when someone won't eat mushrooms.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:48 pm
chagan well done
well done

Speaking of jerk, do you have a supplier of Allspice wood YB? looked for quite some time without any luck. I hear that in Jamaica, they won't export it, hense the problem. Heard you can't have authentic jerk without the allspice wood- you wouldn't be cooking up some bad jerk now would you? As for what I'd cook- I'll take a good old fashioned Porterhouse anyday, but I do have a family, so I'd squeeze a 25 oz. can of Fosters up a turkey and let him think about it for a while as he sits upon my Weber.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:46 am
Rick rare
rare

I'm votin' for the pork butt!! Nothing like a nice long smokey sunday, smokin' the fat outta the pork with apple wood, and while you're waiting, mixing up some pig pucker sauce to put on the meat when it gets done. Best way of spending the day with a great reward at the end. And, if you're having friends over, the enjoyment they have pull the pork with you before diving in, it just doesn't get any better. Thanks for askin'!!

Rick

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:25 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I would have to go with a very thick porter house seasoned with just salt and pepper, seared on the outside and rare, very rare on the inside. I would grill a couple of portabellos on the side. ..........I guess I am hungry for meat tonight.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:38 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I would grill steaks, potatoe's, italian sausage, and put a couple heads of garlic drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, to be used on grilled bakery bread. This is making me so hungry, that I'm trying not to break my New Years resolution not to eat after 6-7p.m.

With all that said....if I had the equipment, I would attempt to cook a whole pig, and stuff the body cavity with hot sausage, and chicken..... :shock: :shock:

Pete
Last edited by hickory pete on Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:04 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have a large grill so I technically could fit alot of grub. But if I had to pick one last meal with a single item I'd have to go with the biggest badest porterhouse I could get my hands on. It seems from reading your posts that I'm not alone! Infact thats exactly how I christened my current grill. Growing up, Sunday dinner was a family time and Sunday dinner was steak, more often than not a NY strip cut thick and big. So now I'm very much the same. Steak is a Sunday ritual. Most often just plain, no sauce, no rub, just good old fashiond steak.

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:19 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale did it. I know what is on the menu this weekend.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:48 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

It's gotta be a big, thick (1/5 -2") porterhouse, seasoned with salt and pepper, smothered in grilled onions that are drenched with butter, grilled garlic bread and finished off with grilled pineapple.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:09 am
hickory pete well done
well done

All of these ideas sound great, but I have to admit, "grilled onions drenched in butter" really puts the finishing touch on it. I have grilled the onions with a little extra virgin olive oil, and vegetables.

Pete

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:04 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

I would light up the fire barrel with some hickory, get the temp up to 225, and put a half a grateful of pork spareribs on. Halfway thru doing this I'd put on the prerubbed chicken halves and fresh sausage links on the side. right before showtime (45 min) I'd throw on the whole ear corn and veggies for the fire roasted salsa. Oh, forgot about the potatos I wrapped in foil and threw into the coals, they are ready too. One match ain't much, but that green hickory will burn a LONG time, and there is enough for all of us. And I must admit those porterhouses have me talking to myself after reading about them. Great Post!!!
" If you can't grill it, don't eat it " Craig

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:57 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

If this is a survival question I'd boil water, otherwise, I'll take a ribeye, baked potato, grilled peaches wrapped in prosciutto.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:03 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Great answer Airfoils--I just realized that the rest of us would be dead from dehydration (perhaps I should specify a six-pack and one match next time?).

Info

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:13 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I guess I assumed some sort of thirst quencher was included. I don't think I have ever fired up a grill or smoker without opening a bottle of wine. :P

Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:16 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey-nobody said that this was our last meal- just our last match :!: If this were my last meal, I'd get a sack of whitecastles, some Thai iced tea, some Harvey's bristol cream, and Hershey's milk chocolate. With that match I'd light up a stogey after all was said and done. I'd kick back and watch the clouds drift by with visions of potato rolls in my head.
Cheers.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Next

Return to General Discussion