Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hungarian Brisket

Hungarian Brisket

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:22 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

This recipe is a revised version of Goulash. I came up with by accident. One day while experimenting with a beef brisket, I ended up with an over cooked meat (beef mush). Not wanting to waste few pounds of beef, I decided to do something with the mess at my hands. Of course, you can always use an under cooked brisket for this recipe as well, you’ll just have to let simmer in the sauce for couple of hours. This recipe is also good with leftover brisket meat.
Her is how it goes:
Ingredients:
3-4 lbs of smoked beef brisket
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
½ green pepper- diced
1 tablespoon sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons sweet paprika (if you have smoked paprika, use half sweet and half smoked)
1 teaspoon spicy paprika or cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons fresh flat parsley leaves-chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 teaspoon thyme-dried
½ cup of diced can tomatoes
4 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups beef stock
¼ cup cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large cast iron Dutch oven (if you’re cooking on the grill), heat the olive oil and sauté the onions, green pepper, and sugar until onions are brown. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook for about 1 minute. Add the paprika (hot and sweet), parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Sauté for another minute. Add the tomato paste and stir for few seconds then add the vinegar, stock, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then add the cooked beef brisket. If you’re adding an over cooked beef brisket, then shred well before adding. If you’re using an under cooked brisket, slice into thin slices and simmer for about 2 hours. If you’re adding just right cooked brisket, then just slice and add to the sauce and simmer until heated through. Serve the final product over buttered egg noodles, Spaetzle, or rice.

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:12 am
Airfoils well done
well done

That definitely sounds like something I'd try Z, although I think I'd leave out the spaetzle in my case and go with basmati rice. This might work well with pulled pork as well. Thanks!

Return to General Discussion