Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion spices

spices

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:41 pm
hballardsr

what spices are best for pork? I want to try new rubs.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:33 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

If you want to try new rubs, I would suggest trying Steven Raichlen's book titled "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". The book is crammed with all kinds of different things to try. It has sections describing the various spices and the flavors that they add. Included in the recipes, he even suggests which type of food to use it on. Of course, experiment to suit your particular taste. This site also has a link at the top of the page titled, "Techniques & Recipes". Give it a try, there may be something there you may want to try. Good Luck, and consider joining us on the board to share your experiences.

Pete

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:22 pm

Most of my rubs have paprika, onion (I prefer granulated), garlic (ditto), cumin, and brown sugar. After that, let your imagination go...curry powder, chili powder, oregano, dill, rosemary, etc., etc., ect.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:04 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

hballardsr there is a thread that you will want to read called "Pork Rubs??????". The discussion ended back in December so you'll have to look back to find it. I would also like to reiterate that Steven's book, "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" is worth getting. It will keep you in new flavors for a long time.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:38 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ll give you one of my secret spices. It gives any meat a nice color and a tangy taste. Just add it to your favorite rub, and I bit you even the most experienced grill master won’t be able to figure it out. It’s called SUMAC. If you can’t find it locally, here is a link to order it:
http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/it ... a09ca86a61

To our Guest,
I have to agree with you on the granulated onion. I love the stuff. I use it on everything. I think it has a nice caramelized onion flavor. Try adding a dash when cooking rice. Just add some to the water before you add the rice, and it will make your rice taste and smell soooo good.

Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:50 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sumac is a Middle Eastern spice. You should be able to find it a Greek. Persian or Indian grocery. If you have ever eaten at a kabob place the maroonish (is that a word?) sprinkle on the rice is sumac.

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:20 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

I agree with Bob, Steven's book on sauces and rubs is highly recommended. I am vain encough to send a recipe for the red rub I use on pork and chicken. http://www.roffee.org/larryRubs.htm

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:36 am

Several people have suggested Steve's books (always a good suggestion). To be a little more specific, try the Puerto Rican Pig Powder recipe. It's some great stuff.

Scott

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:31 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I was the Guest. #*&%@@ log off mechanism!
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion