Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Best Boston Butt

Best Boston Butt

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:36 pm

I have been a long time trial by fire griller/smoker but recently purchased a new smoker to get a little more serious :wink: . I'm still no expert but I am very happy with my first attempt at a Boston Butt.

I wanted to smoke something we could enjoy all week and that might make a busy weekly schedule somewhat less difficult, so I decided to try a pork roast. I wanted to try something new so I picked up Steve's Sauces, Rubs and Marinades and found my plan for the weekend smoke.

I mixed up a batch of his Puerto Rican Pig Powder 8) and my wife selected a 4lb Boston Butt and the match was made. I rubbed the powder all over the boston butt and let it sit for an hour while I prepared the grill. I would have liked to let it sit over night so the flavors would have more time to blend, but like always we were running short on time. I smoked it for three hours while making chicken and potatoes for the evening meal. When I took the butt off the grill and we sampled it :o the chicken was set aside for lunch the next day and we had the most juicy and flavorful pork ever.

We ate it again the next night and then had pork sandwiches later in the week. This was a major success. I am looking forward to my first beer can chicken this weekend with one of the as yet unselected rubs in his book. This is going to be a great adventure.

Return to Testimonials