Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Punjena Vesalica

Punjena Vesalica

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:51 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Otherwise known as "Serbian Stuffed Pork Loin", it's a recipe in Planet Barbecue and I cooked it for dinner last Monday.

It starts with a piece of pork loin butterflied lengthwise; the one I used weighed about 2-1/4 pounds. I also pounded it thin and then brined it for about 4 hours.

It's stuffed with bacon, ham, and cheese, and that's mustard on the uncovered half. It's definitely a good idea to use a fairly lean bacon and it helps to cook it a little bit ahead of time.

My 15-year-old asked if I was making a "heart attack meat sandwich", and I guess it does look a little like a sub/hoagie!

The recommended side dish is a cucumber salad and Mrs. O took care of that while I grilled the meat.

It doesn't take all that long to grill (I think it was about a 1-beer job :wink:) and I took the loin to the just-barely-done stage. I probably should've pounded it just a little thinner.

The local corn crop is just now starting to come in so I put a half-dozen ears on the grill. It probably wouldn't have hurt to let them grow for a couple more days but they were still just fine...like the first corn of the season always is!

The loin tasted great and while the mustard is optional I think it's a great contrast to the richness of the cheese and bacon fat. The only down side was that after cutting it fell apart, but that also makes it easier to see how it looks inside. Fortunately there've been enough leftovers for lunches this week!

Brad

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That all looks great, Brad! I'll have to try it, mustard and all.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:27 am
bajamike560 well done
well done

How do you do the cucumber salad. THAT is about the only thing going on in my garden now. Yes I will try the loin dish also, just keep it from the wife what I am doing with it. (why do you alwise have to do such weird stuff to EVERYTHING you do? Sometimes I like thing's simple) :roll: Is what I get part of the time. See if she likes the salad.

Mike

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 am
QJuju well done
well done

Looks delicious... I will need to give that one a try. I made the one stuffed with prunes from Planet Barbecue and was a little hesitant about the mustard as the wife isn't a big fan. I thought it was the perfect note to balance the sweetness of the prunes and the richness of the tenderloin and bacon. I bet it was here as well.

Great job and thanks for bringing this one to the top of my list. There are so many recipes I want to try in Planet Barbecue that I know I will never make them all. Having recommendations from y'all is a big plus

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I made stuffed pork chops a few weeks ago, and we love those. So I know we would really like that! :D Fine looking meal there Brad. Does Mrs. O care to share the cucumber salad recipe? :wink:

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The cucumber salad recipe also comes from Planet Barbecue so I can't post it here, but this one might not be a bad choice. Because the stuffed loin is pretty rich any type of salad with a tart/vinegary sauce would be a nice counterpoint.

Brad

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:47 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Brad_Olson wrote:
The cucumber salad recipe also comes from Planet Barbecue so I can't post it here, but this one might not be a bad choice. Because the stuffed loin is pretty rich any type of salad with a tart/vinegary sauce would be a nice counterpoint.

Brad

Or.... you could just pick up a copy of Planet Barbecue as it's a really good book.... :D

Excellent job, Brad!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to Testimonials