Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Steve's Barbeque Bible

Steve's Barbeque Bible

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:34 pm
ellem52 raw
raw

I don't think I can really list all the ways this book has made me a more interesting cook. I take bits and pieces of these recipes and mix and match to taste. I only end up with beef jerky about 10% of the time! :roll:

The Shirazi Salad (someone check my spelling) has been a huge hit. What I do with that is make it as it is in the book then I add some chicken.

The chicken works like this.

Cube some cutlets.
Cube some peppers, (Green, Yellow, Red...)
Cube some onions (Red, purple, whatever)
Italian Dressing (like Kraft or better)
Frank's Hot Sauce (or better)
1 drop of A-- In Hell (I can't stress this 1 drop thing enough)
Montreal Chicken Seasoning
Cayenne powder
Half a teaspoon of Garlic

Now there are a lot of choices here. You could leave the cutlets whole and chop them up after you've cooked them on the grill or you could dtir fry them in a wok on the grill or you could cook them in a Reynold's bag on the grill, your choice.

When it is all done dump it on the salad.

I get raves about this. I have even made a few batches of the above described "marinade"

Steve's books are amazing, Can't say enough about how they have changed the way I cook.
Mmmm meat

Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:42 pm
Leisa M rare
rare

what is "A-- in Hell"? Could I use Tobasco sauce in place of it?
Leisa
Missy's Mom

Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:01 pm
ellem52 raw
raw

A-- in Hell is a a brand of Hot Sauce.

This stuff in particular isn't very tasty but is very hot. I use it for heat.

You could eliminate it entirely.

http://www.firegirl.com/hs1885.html
Mmmm meat

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:06 pm
Leisa M rare
rare

I do like some heat. Where would I get it? Do I have to order it or can I find it in my grocery store?
Leisa
Missy's Mom

Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:08 pm
ellem52 raw
raw

might be in your grocery store.

but there are plenty of places to order it online.
Mmmm meat

Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:42 am
starpacker medium-rare
medium-rare

I have finally found a sauce that I like, thanks to Steve. After experimenting with literally hundreds of sauces, his Basic BBQ Sauce fills the bill! I did make one change, however. I really don't care that much for Tabasco, so I use a Mexican sauce called Cholula, which can usually be found in the ethnic section of major markets and/or Wal-Mart. The bottle is topped with a little wooden ball, and while having a bit more than medium heat, it has a much better flavor than any other hot sauce I have found. Give it a try, you might like it.

Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:01 pm
BigBad raw
raw

I second Starpacker's nomination of Cholula sauce. Love it!

I also use Frank's Red Hot on just about anything from pizza to burgers. I like the taste better than original Tabasco and it's not quite as hot.

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:21 pm
LowRider rare
rare

If you like Cholula...and you want more kick without all the "vinegar" of Tabasco..you have got to try "Tapatio Hot Sauce". http://www.tapatiohotsauce.com I put that stuff on everything (pizza, potato chips, cucumbers) and even have a bottle at work.

Return to Testimonials