Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Drunken Steak from BBQ USA

Drunken Steak from BBQ USA

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:50 am
TX Sandman well done
well done

Howdy, All.

If you haven't tried this recipie out, I heartily recommend you do so. I did the other night and it came out *wonderful*.

The in-laws invited my family over with the message that we would be having Drunken Steak for dinner. Now, after the vision of an intoxicated cow running amok, my next thought was "How am I going to cook *that*?" Y'see, when there's grilling to be done over there, guess who's going to do it.

I followed the directions on cooking with one exception - I didn't take it off until I used a meat thermometer on it. When I checked the temp, it was only 95 degrees. It took another 20 minutes to get the temp up to 140, where the meat felt like shoe leather when I took it off. I was scared s---less that I had overcooked it, but when I carved, it was a perfect medium, and so juicy it ran off the board. Next time, I think I'll go for 135, as it was *slightly* chewy, but that was probably more the cut of meat than overdone.

What did I learn?

1) The poke test doesn't work with big cuts of meat. Invest in a good meat thermometer and practice with it.
2) Instructions are fine, but practice and knowledge of the equipment is better.
3) The only thing better than your beverage of choice is the beverage behind the grill, and the appreciative looks when you get it right.

Good luck.
TX Sandman - Rob

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:27 pm
michiganbutcher medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Rob - thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this recipe this week - I got some left over bourbon that I bought to make a mop sauce for baby ribs, and some fresh ginger left over from asian style spare rib recipe I tried.

The recipe calls for top or bottom round - which one did you use? I think I am going to go with top sirloin for this one - a little more naturally tender. When it comes to bigger cuts of beef, I always pull mine at 135 degrees - then let it rest, usually comes out pretty good.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:22 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

michiganbutcher wrote:
Hey Rob - thanks for sharing.

You're more than welcome.

The recipe calls for top or bottom round - which one did you use? I think I am going to go with top sirloin for this one - a little more naturally tender. When it comes to bigger cuts of beef, I always pull mine at 135 degrees - then let it rest, usually comes out pretty good.

I used Mother-in-Law. :wink: She supplied the meat and marinated it. I was told, "We're having drunken steak, and you'll be cooking it." I have no idea of cut, weight, anything other than it came from a cow. In fact, Marie (MIL) thinks she used a cut larger than recommended, which is why it took so much longer.

Yeah, part of the problem is I pulled it off to done. I thought cooking temp was end of grill, not final temp after rest.

Free food? I'm there, and I don't ask too many questions. :wink:

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:51 pm
baker well done
well done

michiganbutcher wrote:
I got some left over bourbon

What? Leftover what? Like it doesn't have a home or something?

Sacrilege, I tell you. Sacrilege.

Return to Testimonials