Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Dr. Pepper Ribs...WOW!!!

Dr. Pepper Ribs...WOW!!!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:20 pm
jimneva rare
rare

I made some Dr. Pepper ribs for Independence Day. My mother grilled some chicken. Only two pieces of chicken were eaten. I made a marinade of Dr. Pepper, BBQ Sauce (I used Cattlemen's Smoke from Sams), Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic, vinegar, and Emeril's Essence. I marinated the ribs overnight. I then used my variation of Steve's basic BBQ rub and smoked using the 3-2-1 method. Every 1/2 hour I marinated with the leftover marinade (which had been boiled). In the last half hour, I coated with Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce (equal parts BBQ sauce and Dr. Pepper reduced). As you can see from the provided pictures, the bones were just falling out at the end.

Shot with KODAK P850 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2007-07-04

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:30 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I'll admit it's hard to eat chicken when there's some good ribs on the menu and those D.P. Ribs look GOOD! 8)

But if you have your mother join in the fun here.... we'll try to help her improve her game too. :wink:

Great job jimneva! :D

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:27 am
jimneva rare
rare

I have a feeling I will be doing most of the grilling from now on anyway. She is building an addition on to her house. She is going to live in the addition, while we move into the "Big House." Almost 3000 square feet is proving a bit much for one person to take care of.

Once the move is made, I think she will probably hand over all grilling responsibilities. She has always felt that was a man's responsibility, and I don't mind. Grills and I always have a good time together.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 pm
Grillslinger BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, those look good!

I've had DP ribs in the past....I don't know if they were the same or not, but they were great....but certainly no better than the one in your pictures look. Keep it up!

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:02 pm
TX Sandman well done
well done

Great job! They look fabulous!

Rob - TX Sandman

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:43 pm
jimneva rare
rare

Thanks to all for the many accolades. I did learn something important during this round. There are definitely different levels of quality among spareribs. My last attempt, in May, was using three racks purchased from Kroger. They were tasty, but never got to be falling off the bone. Part of the reason was because I found it impossible to remove the silver skin.

This last batch of ribs was purchased at Sam's. They cost twice as much, but were much larger and the silver skin came right off, with a minimal amount of effort. Also, as you could see from the pictures, after 3-2-1, it was all I could do to keep the bones in the ribs.

Return to Testimonials