Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials Tried First Timer Ribs-made me a believer, and so easy !!!!

Tried First Timer Ribs-made me a believer, and so easy !!!!

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.
Swcrowder raw
raw

Last night, I decided to roll up my sleeves and try the "First Timer Ribs". I started day before yesterday by making the rub, putting it on a rack of ribs, and refigerating overnight. The rub recipe was easy, and I made the Lemon Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce the same day, refigerating it with the ribs. Yesterday, I fired my Weber charcoal grill, made the mop sauce, and cooked the ribs exactly as the recipe indicated. The ribs came out perfect after cooking on indirect heat at 325-350 degrees for about 1 hour and 40 minutes. I soaked hickory chips in apple juice for about an hour before cooking, and they added a nice sweet smokey flavor to the grill. I had to replace charcoal once about 1 hour into cooking, but that was easy since I anticipated it ahead of time. My family absolutely loved the ribs, and I especially liked the BBQ sauce which complemented the ribs quite nicely. My 4 year old son tested the BBQ sauce when I finished making it and asked if I could put some in a bowl! After eating the ribs, he said "dad, these ribs are great, bit a little spicey". I agree, but they are not overpowering at all. I am not a "kick it up a notch" kind of guy on the spices, so trust me when I say they are just a tad spicey. I plan on using the sauce on chicken and anything else I can find that would be good.

Thanks Steve! Thanks to you, I see baby backs in my future!

Stan Crowder
Columbia, MD

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:06 am
rand0m medium-rare
medium-rare

nice :D the first time i did ribs was using steve's "first-timers" recipe as well, and i had just as much success as you did....glad yours turned out good!
i like to sleep...

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board Swcrowder! :D

It's so wonderful and refreshing to hear positive feedback when folks try new things. Good on you Stan! 8) Thanks for sharing your experience, and congratulations on your success.

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:08 pm

I have been thinking about having my daughter and her husband come over and join my wife and I for a rib feast. I have been thinking of doing three different types of ribs using Stephens recipes. One would be the first timers ribs, one would be the Rendevouz dry ribs, and then for something different, the French rottisserie ribs. Cut them all up and let everyone try them all and pick and choose their favorites.
Jenn-Air gas
Weber One Touch Gold
Char-Griller SP w/ SFB
Char-Broil gas
Aussie style charcoal
BBQ Grillware SS portable

Return to Testimonials