Board index Barbecue Board Testimonials A big thanks to one and all

A big thanks to one and all

Share your war stories, your successes, and how Steven's books have changed your cooking from charburgers to grilling magic.

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:51 pm
IowaCook medium-rare
medium-rare

I know I'm quite late to this topic but now I have a place to show my gratitude. I always thought grilling was just about hot-dogs, burgers, brats, and steaks until I started watching BBQ-U on Iowa Public Television on Saturday mornings. Your show completely opened my world up to everything grilling and BBQ-ing could be and has created a door to an exciting and FUN world I can explore and become part of. Thanks again and I'm addicted to your show! (I've asked for all of your books for Christmas!)

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:54 am
TimmyR raw
raw

Also late but thanks. Your books and show opened up a lots of new possibilities in grilling. Now my wife says that we have made it almost impossible to order anything in a restaurant we grill at home since the food off the grill (again much thanks to you) comes out so good.

I am a happy owner of BBQ Bible, How to Grill and BBQ USA
Cheers!

Timmy
22 1/2" Weber Kettle - from 1996
WSM Bullet
Weber Genesis Gold C

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:50 pm
Michigan Fats well done
well done

Steven,

Let me first of say, Thank You.

I went on a business trip to Tennessee earlier this and since then have never felt the same way about BBQ. I got back home and just happen to stumble across BBQU on one of our cable stations. I set the TIVO to record every episode and have been addicted ever since.

In addition, my wive thanks you. She loves that fact that I am preparing dinner more nights a week than she is.

Thanks for helping me out and making BBQ fun!

Al
Al

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:53 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I first read the Barbecue Bible when it first came out about ten years ago, and I bought my own copy soon afterward. I've been a contributor on this forum for almost 4 years now.

However, it just dawned on me that I've never thanked Steven for creating such a great series of books. My original Barbecue Bible seems to have been "borrowed", since I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I've not only replaced it but I've also bought 5 other titles just from Steven's BBQ collection alone, and I'm thinking of trying some of the other cookbooks of his.

So thanks, Steven! I really appreciate your books and enjoy them. Also, thanks to you and Workman Publishing for setting up this discussion board as well! I've recommended both to family and friends, and it's made a big difference with family get-togethers as a result. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:47 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

The THANKS goes to you Steven, because if it wasn't for your programs that first INSPIRES us to do the type of cooking you showed us, the books that shows and tells HOW to do it and most important of all,for establishing this forum that is home to some of the most knowledgeable ,helpful and for the better part most friendliest group of people I know but have never met, and from all around the world to boot. This is where I get 98% of my ideas from (because I don't yet have any of your books,but hope to remedy that on my birthday this month) and the group that kept me from pushing my smoker to the curb. THANK YOU
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm
kh6kine raw
raw

Steven -
Many thanks for your shows and books. In one episode, you said something about the BBQ chicken you grew up eating - soaked in BBQ sauce, burned on the outside and raw on the inside. And ribs - we always boiled them first, dunked them in bottled BBQ sauce, then burned them on the grill.

And, lighting the fire - my dad would dump the brickettes onto the grill, splash some "lawnmower gas" on the pile, and throw a match in. I will always remember that "Whoosh!" noise that makes. Amazing he never got burned doing that.

No more BBQ-ing like this is allowed at my cook-outs!

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you some day when you come out to Southern Calif., or when I go to a BBQ-U class.

BTW:
I saw the roast pig on the Primal Grill DVD (Season 2) - but - have you thought of doing one Hawaiian-luau style in a big hole in the ground? That might make for a great show....and you can have some hula girls in there, too!

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:57 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanks Steve. I've used and recomended your books for years. Some times a follow the recipe exactly - most often you inspire and I improvise. You definitely got me into grilling fruits and vegetables. I used to do potatos, onions, and maybe a couple slices of canned pineapple. Now I'll grill just about any veggie or fruit. I especially like grilled cabbage, asparagus, any squash or root vegetable and fruits and berries of all kinds. Think "How To Grill" is the essential for someone just starting out. I have probably bought and given as gifts a dozen copies over the years.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 pm
Davidmc23 raw
raw

Steven wrote:
I've been reading over your comments and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's really gratifying to me to hear your success stories and that my books have helped you improve your grilling.
It's the best part of being an author
Happy grilling! !
Steven Raichlen

I randomly found How to Grill one day, it looked interesting so I bought it. I was very quickly in awe and learning so much and the meals I was producing were great. I think about 40 coworkers bought it based on my raving and the samples I was bringing to work. That kicked off a great competition as to who could do the best ribs etc.

Thank you, you changed my life for the better!!!! Oh and when I met my someday to be wife it turned out she loved BBQ and and I think it helped close the deal. Today she's doing her first Chicken on a Beer can!!!

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:32 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, David! Sounds like you and your wife are a great match!

Previous

Return to Testimonials