Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken Skin...

Chicken Skin...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:20 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Tonight I tried the Cornell chicken from BBQ USA and I really liked it except for the skin. I hear so many people talk about how they like chicken skin and I have not been able to cook it in a way that I liked. It always comes out very soft, even when I direct grilled the chicken tonight. I did mop the skin side but Steven said to do that. I also always get soggy skin when doing Beer Can chicken. I guess I am asking if chicken skin ever gets really crisp. I really liked the parts of the meat where the skin had drawn back and the flame and mop had been able to touch it, but I don’t wanna miss out if chicken skin really is all that and a bag of potato chips.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:36 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One surefire, and I should stress fire is direct heat. Just watch those flareups. I typically get the chicken cooked through and then crisp it as a last step.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:00 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I really like Cornell chicken, but I modify the technique slightly when I do it. I start the chicken skin side down and mop only the meat side (top) for the first 10 - 15 minutes. Then I turn it over and finish it skin side up, mopping both sides, but mostly the skin side. This results in crisp skin every time. Be sure you have a medium to medium-low zone to move the chicken to if you get a bad flare-up, but don't be afraid if the flame briefly kisses the meat, especially the skin side. Also, be careful with the mop, as it will cause a bad flare-up.

I think this is one recipe that's easier on a gas grill, because there is less of a flare-up problem. At least that's my experience on my Weber Genesis.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:09 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

I agree with PaulP......................Grill that skin side first to help crisp it up a bit.
After you finish mopping, go back to the skin side for one last blast of heat.
Skin should be more crisp, but leftovers will always be soggy.

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:49 am
hotchef well done
well done

Thanks for the tips guys. This is one recipe that is definitely worth trying again. Do you have a problem with the skin burning leaving it down for so long?

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:31 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Anybody ever try smoking a chicken and then tossin it in the deep fryer for a couple minutes? Just an idea after reading this but concur, I toss parts on the grill to crisp up myself.

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:45 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

hotchef wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys. This is one recipe that is definitely worth trying again. Do you have a problem with the skin burning leaving it down for so long?

You have to keep an eye on it to prevent burning. I usually finish on the edge of hottest grill to minimize flare ups.

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:47 pm
stickman medium
medium

Hi Hotchef. I haven't tried the Cornell Chicken yet, but I have gotten wonderfully crispy beer can chicken skin by cooking it indirectly at about 325*. It doesn't slow cook like the typical smoked BCC, but I think the fat drips out of it and the heat is sufficient to make it nice and crisp. I find it takes about 1.25 to 1.5 hours to get it just right.

Hope that helps,
Stickman

Return to General Discussion