x

The Best BBQ Delivered to You!

Sign up here for Steven’ Raichlen’s weekly Up in Smoke e-newsletter (and get a free ‘Best Burgers’ e-book!).

Menu

General

MAKE MY DAY!

Make My Day!

As a new feature, we’ll be publishing guest blogs in this space about once a month. Share your barbecueing experiences with us in a short paragraph accompanied by a digital photo. Submissions should be sent to info@workman.com, and may be edited for content and clarity.

Our first guest “blogger” is Alberto Robles, aka “Grillslinger,” who is a very active participant on our Barbecue Board. (His logo is above.) He offered us his recipe for Rosemary’s Babyback Ribs to honor the release of Steven’s latest book, Raichlen on Ribs. Thanks, Grillslinger!

Though I currently work as a bilingual aide for a middle school, my background is in film and photography. My wife and I met on a film set. We were watching a certain classic horror film when my wife thought up the name, Rosemary’s Baby Back Ribs. The following recipe was the result. I smoked the ribs for about 3 hours on my Weber Kettle. My family was thrilled with these ribs, and hopefully, yours will be, too! (Editor’s note: see photos of Grillslinger’s ribs at http://thegrillslinger.com/rosemaryribs)

Rosemary’s Baby Back Ribs

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
2 racks of baby back ribs (about 4 pounds total)
2 to 4 limes, juiced
1/2 to 3/4 cup honey
You’ll also need:
1-1/2 to 2 cups hickory chips, soaked for 1 hour and drained
Make the rub: In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, salt, white pepper, coriander, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, and cayenne, if using. Use your fingers or a whisk to break up any lumps. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. Coat the ribs with lime juice and sprinkle generously with the rub. Drizzle honey over the rub. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. Toss half of the wood chips on the coals. Cover the grill and cook the ribs until well browned and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers. (When the ribs are done, the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones about 1/4 inch.) Add 12 fresh coals after the first hour and toss on the remainder of the wood chips. Transfer the ribs to a plate or large platter. Let rest for a few minutes before cutting in half or into individual ribs.