Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Campfire Cafe

Campfire Cafe

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:01 pm
Cajunhoot well done
well done

Just wondering if anyone watches Campfire Cafe with Johnny Nix on sunday afternoon? I think Johnny cooks up a storm over that open flame. I just might get his book and try some cowboy cooking myself. yes sir.... www.CampfireCafe.com

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:52 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

It is not shown where I live. I went to the website and it is something i really think id like to watch If you get the book give a review please

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:03 pm
BigDaddy medium
medium

I used to watch this guy all the time... but know he not avaliable in my area. It's amazing what he can do over an open fire. Everytime he'd do a dish... I'd think "Wow... I would have messed that up"... He is talanted.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:34 pm
snapshot0729 well done
well done

BigDaddy wrote:
I used to watch this guy all the time... but know he not avaliable in my area. It's amazing what he can do over an open fire. Everytime he'd do a dish... I'd think "Wow... I would have messed that up"... He is talanted.

I've never seen the show but as a Boy Scout and Scoutmaster for years you'd be able to do the same thing too using quality cast iron dutch ovens. You'd be amazed at what you can turn out with a little practice, and quality embers from a fire that's been going for hours.
I've done 20 pound turkeys for the troops over a campfire. It's easy when you have the right fire, a few twigs and a little tin foil. Always have confidence in your cooking abilities. My philosophy is that the only difference between a good cook and a bad cook is that a good cook has had a lot of bad meals. You learn from your mistakes, and if you're experimenting ALWAYS do something you know will turn out right just in case the experiment makes a hasty retreat.

Joe

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:49 am
Codename Walrus User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Well put Snapshot.

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:50 am
Susan Z well done
well done

Where can you find those dutch ovens with the flat lid and the cool lip on top that lets you put coals on there, I wonder?

Post Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:28 pm
Susan Z well done
well done

Thanks, Blackdog, I love Lodge Logic, but didn't realize it was the CAMP stove/dutch oven i wanted (which is a drag,cuz I recently bought one of their regular dutch ovens. Oh well.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:11 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Sportmart carries Lodge products. There are different kinds of ovens though. There are leg and legless. The ones designed to be used in campfires are the ones with legs. The general consensus is to have twice the amount of coals on top as you do on the bottom. You're also supposed to rotate the whole oven and lid 90 degrees on a periodic basis to assure even cooking. The legless variety works well for our purposes though of being used on a grill. You can't beat a double batch of SR's Smoky Baked Beans done low and slow n a dutch oven on a kettle stoked with hickory. Just add a can and a half of beer to the mix, let it go for four hours with an ocasional stir, and leave the lid off the oven. Add remaining beer to user.

Joe
Last edited by snapshot0729 on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:45 am
hooohaa2 rare
rare

There is a local hardware store in my area that carries a different brand, but still the same thing. just an idea.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:15 am
KBHALE medium-well
medium-well

Cajunhoot. Thanks for the web site. To me anything cooked outside over a fire taste better.
KBHALE

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:58 am
Cajunhoot well done
well done

No problem KB. I'm just glad people seem as interested as I am in this type of cooking. I wish yall could see the show and listen to Johnny. Just hearing him makes me wanna start a campfire.

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:00 am
snapshot0729 well done
well done

Hey folks if you hit the Lodge website you can request a catalog, so even if a local establishment doesn't have what you are looking for you can give them a stock number from Lodge, and then have THEM pay the shipping cost to get it to you. Another little ditty is the hibachi they feature is the one SR uses... In any case their catalog has good tips to keep whatever cast cooking utensils you have in proper order, and I think there might be a recipe or two in there. They also feature a lot of cookbooks. Even from the Cafe. Nuttin to do with us here really but I inherited their chicken fryer from my grandmother. Nuttin better if you're doing it inside on a stove. Here's another thing to think about. Those of you with fireplaces can cook in there with a bed of quality embers. You'll really impress the snot out of your family. I've got a GREAT dessert that's essentially hands off that we did all the time when I was a Scoutmaster. First off you need at least a 6qt d.o. Line with heavy tin foil just to aid in cleanup. Double fold the seams, and then reopen, place, and press in the bottom.

Joe's D.O. Campfire Dessert
1 ea. lg can mixed fruit or pie filling. Use whatever type you like. Round fruits work best. I like cherry or bllueberry pie filling
1 ea. yellow cake mix
1 ea. lemon-lime soda (7up etc.)
Pour fruit in the d.o. first, and roll the oven to spread the fruit evenly across the bottom. I've even been known to use a couple of cans of fruit. I'll put one in first and then on top of the cake mix. The one on top will kinda sink through before the cake sets. Makes nice color streaks. Mix the cake mix and an appropriate amount of soda to make your batter. After that is mixed well pour that over the fruit and put the lid on. Bake per cake directions. For a 12 inch 6 qt d.o. you're looking at using about 25 coals. 17 on top and 8 or so on the bottom. For a 12 incher this should equate to about a 350F internal temp in the oven. Remember to rotate the oven to the right 90 degrees, and the lid to the left 90 degrees about every 10-15 minutes. This assures even baking. RESIST the urge to lift the lid. A watched pot....... After the required time remove from heat using tongs for the top coals, and check to assure the cake is done with a toothpick, cake checker, piece of corn broom, or a knife if you're in a campsite. When finished. Git cha a BIG bowl and serve it up. Top wit some nilla scream... and a :D Enjoy the cudo's and accolades on your prowess.. Merry Christmas.

Joe

Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:14 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Joe, I'm sure I remember seeing this recipe before. :? But I copied it again....just in case. :wink: It sounds so good and I hope to get to try it if we have a cold enough winter this year. :D Thanks again for sharing it! 8)

Next

Return to General Discussion