Board index Barbecue Board Primal Grill Substitute Pork Tenderloin for Beef in Lomo al Trapo?

Substitute Pork Tenderloin for Beef in Lomo al Trapo?

Talk about Steven's television show, Primal Grill
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One of Steven's favorite recipe discoveries is Lomo al Trapo, beef tenderloin roasted directly in the embers in salt in a sacrificial piece of cotton cloth. (For the recipe, go to www.primalgrill.org.)

DJB wondered if he could substitute pork:

"Good evening Steven, I love your show, and enjoy learning new and unique ideas. I wanted to ask if the lomo al trapo salt crusted beef tenderloin recipe could be done with a pork tenderloin of a similar size? I have a really nice pork tenderloin that I would like to try in the same method. Would it work and would you recommend it?"

We have never tried this, so urged DJB to experiment with a pedestrian tenderloin unstead of his "really nice pork tenderloin". Your thoughts, Barbecue Board?

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sure it would. In fact, the spices might not even need any adjustments either. Both tenderloins are similar in muscle fiber and texture. The only thing I'd be concerned about was that the pork was cooked to doneness. I've prepared chicken cooked in a salt crust, and it didn't pick up a lot of saltiness, so pork would work well too.

Pork tenderloins aren't terribly expensive, either. It couldn't hurt to try - if it fails, you're out $5 or $10. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I agree with Guy... it seems like it would be fine. Internal temp for pork would be the question.

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:00 pm
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd probably take it to 155. When we do chicken, we bury the tip of a grill-safe thermometer in thickest part of the thigh. Thanks for your help!

Nancy Lou

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I had a talk with a pork producer this weekend at my local Farmers' Market (yes - it's still going this late in the year), and she said that trichinosis and most other pork diseases are virtually a thing of the past. Because of that, 155°F ought to be just fine.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to Primal Grill