Board index Barbecue Board Primal Grill Using a Rotisserie with Weber Kettle

Using a Rotisserie with Weber Kettle

Talk about Steven's television show, Primal Grill
Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:56 pm
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

D.C. of Norfolk, Virginia, wrote to us with this question:

"
How's it going Steven? This is your long lost email bud in Norfolk, VA. :-) Still waiting for you to come see us little people here in the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area.

I could use some EXPERT advice of yours. Just got a Weber 2290 Kettle Rotisserie. I've used it once already and I love it on my Weber kettle. Gonna get a Performer this spring. Only thing is, it gets a lot of airflow and hard to control the temp. Some suggest to close the bottom vents all the way and the same for the top vents. Would you concur on that or do you suggest something different. I'm all ears. :-)

In advance, thanks for your help Steven.

PS - I know you hear this a lot, I love Primal Grill, especially the crew cut ins. I was wondering who was eating all that great food you cook on the show. :-) But, I do miss the music from Barbeque University."

We advised him that closing the vents would starve the fire, and suggested he invest in a grill thermometer for his kettle. Other suggestions, Board? Neither Steven nor I have had problems with our rotisseries...

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

D.C., I find that my kettle does much better at holding stable temperatures if it's in a still, wind-free environment. That way there's no "forced induction" and the draw of the fire and the openings of the bowl vents control the airflow, and I always have the lid vent wide open. If you're running into a problem where the temps are too high you could try starting with less fuel as well, but make sure you have the hinged grate in case you need to refuel later (make sure the hinged parts are in the "open" position before adding the rotisserie ring). Good luck!

Brad

Post Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Spot-on advice. My kettle/rotiss is on the east side of the house and protected by the house...hardly ever any wind. But where your grill is positioned would certainly make a difference. Thanks, Brad. Will send the writer a link to your post.

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm
carbon rare
rare

I just got a roto for my kettle too and find that even with the bottom vents closed there's too much air feeding the coals, especially low and slow cooks. What I did was stuff rope gasket all the way around the roto ring to seal the air gap. That took care of the problem.

Post Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The gasket was a great idea, Carbon. Thanks! :D

Return to Primal Grill