Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Resolutions

Resolutions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:58 pm
Jackalope well done
well done

Not at all Blackdog. Personally, I don't even consider anything remotely resembling a diet until after the Superbowl.... :D

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:27 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

blackdog870 wrote:
Just looking for opinions here; Say someone resolved to lose weight for the New Year, you're really talking about starting January 2nd, right? I mean you can't really be expected not to have a big batch of 'Que and beer for all those New Years day bowl games. :D Especially if ribs are on sale. I'm not out of line here am I? :wink:

I would think that a grill full of ribs would qualify as "Atkins-friendly"... :wink:

Brad

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:22 pm
stickman medium
medium

I have the answer - Chinese New Year!

It looks like it is on 9 Feb this year http://www.chinapage.com/newyear.html so no need to worry about pigging out Jan. 1 or the Super Bowl. All resolutions can start on or about 10 Feb.

To alter a phrase - you can have your ribs (as well as brisket, chicken, wursts, etc.) and eat them too.

Stickman

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:55 pm
KBHALE medium-well
medium-well

Don't go on a diet. Go on an activity program. A diet will loose you weight but you'll also loose muscle mass along with fat. Leaves you feeling miserable and hungry. Dieting really has no long term benefits for once you stop the diet, weight creeps back. An activity program will shed fat, build muscle mass, increases bone density, strengthen the heart and improve breathing, and you don't have to count calories you just need to eat healthy. Yes activity is exercise but it translates into doing something that elevates your heart rate and keeps it elevated 15 to 30 minutes. Walking, hunting, basketball, football, golf, weight lifting / resistance training, Learning how to dance and going dancing improved my social life a lot and improved my health. So get active doing some thing fun 3 or 4 days a week and become the lean mean BBQ eating machine.

Muscle weights more than fat so pitch the scale and get a measuring tape.
KBHALE

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:28 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm right there with ya!
My BBQ and grilling leavel is at an all time high and so is my waistline. I've committed myself to reducing one but not both. The new excercise equipment in my living room will hopefully be the cure. 1/2 hour minimum on the excercise bike every morning starting tomorrow.

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:45 am
buttsmoker well done
well done

:lol: :lol:
1/2 hour minimum on the excercise bike every morning starting tomorrow.

I think I'll start the day after tomorrow.
model 84 lang smoker

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Good thinkin blackdog.....I wont start anything until after the superbowl......gotta have my Hot Wings!!!!
Image Image
"Who you callin' a chile head?!"

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:27 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

You guys are creative--just turn your 'Queing into a full workout. For instance, you could split some wood for the smoker, with an ax. Or have the 2-tank propane workout where you lift your spare tank in a series of curls. Or move the grill further from the house, making you run back and forth! (Oh wait, you've learned my secrets--make it hard on yourself so you HAVE to exercise . . .)

Info

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Sorry guys, but I've started my diet early

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:34 pm
FedoraDave medium-well
medium-well

I've resolved to lose the spare tire, too. But that doesn't mean a halt to grilling or smoking. Far from it! Grilling and smoking are healthy ways to prepare meat, because the fat drips off. And the flavor is concentrated, so it's much more satisfying, even if you're eating smaller portions.

And don't forget the vegetables! Grilled vegetables are delicious and the perfect complement to any grilled meat you create.

As others have noted, taking up an activity that raises the heart rate is recommended also. It needn't be strenuous or expensive, but does need to be done regularly. I have a Tony Little Gazelle in my basement, and I try to work 30-40 minutes on it every day. If I skip a day, it's not a tragedy, I just don't get down on myself, and make sure I get back on it the next day.

Limit snacks, especially in the evening, and drink a lot of water during the day.

But grilling and barbecuing are not antithetical to weight loss. You still have to eat, after all.
There is NO SUCH THING as "pork tartare!"

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:06 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Just kidding :lol: :lol:

Post Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:45 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Z, That looks like some good food.

Next

Return to General Discussion