Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.
Post Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:34 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

As pertinent to the experience of the BBQ world. I wonder if it would be feasible to have a section on the board dedicated to member's own recipes that they have done and tried. Not any of Steven's or other famous chefs out there but their own genuine homemade recipes that have turned out well or not so well and we can give feed back on it. If possible to make it a sticky. Kinda as a one stop shop place for new and exciting recipes....just bored and was wondering....

Robbie
Image Image
"Who you callin' a chile head?!"

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:35 am
KBHALE medium-well
medium-well

I think, I would like it if one of the Forum members got a recipe in one of Steven's next books. I'm without doubt that there are certain members and moderators that have the MOJO for Q.
KBHALE

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Personally, I think this is a good idea. :D

Have ya'll read this in THE FINE PRINT of barbecuebible.com:

All postings, including recipes, restaurant recommendations, stories, anecdotes, and questions, will become the property of Steven Raichlen and Barbecuebible.com. As such, they can be used on this and other sites Steven is affiliated with and in future books, articles, and newsletters by Steven without specific permission or compensation. Efforts will be made to credit the contributor by name when possible.

This means that if you post a recipe here and Steven likes it then he may use it in one of his books, :D and you'll be famous. :wink:

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:16 am
Big D well done
well done

hmmmmm how cool would that be to open up a new SR cook book and see Big D's Collosal Heart Stoppers or Big D's triple beef inferno chilli, etc... hahahahahah dream come true.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:35 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

stickied

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:18 pm
Rifter well done
well done

Here is one of my favorites, and probably the one thing I have grilled the most, since I picked up my new grills. Meatloaf. This is based on one of BBQ-Z's brilliant ideas.

You can see it here: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1664&start=15#13400

Here is the recipe:

4# hamburger
1# ground pork
1# Itallian Sausage
4 egg
1.5 cup croutons
6+ tbs garlic
a bit of mrs dash
6+ tbs worchishire sauce
4 tbs soy sauce
3 tsp oregano

I then top it with thick cut tomatoes, and the ncover THOSE with strips of bacon, to hold in the juice. I use a medium sized bowl to mix them in, so they have a round shape, instead of the standard square. When I use the gas grill, I like to turn both buners on, and get the grill really hot (600+) and then put the meatloaf on, to sear it well. On my chargriller, I put the charcoal right under the grate, and move it off to the side, for indirect, but once again, have really hot grates to drop the meatloaf onto. This recipe stays pretty stiff, so it doesn't fall apart, but stays nice and juicy inside.
Kevin 'Rifter' Rank

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:48 pm
Ironwulf well done
well done

HotSauceGuru wrote:
As pertinent to the experience of the BBQ world. I wonder if it would be feasible to have a section on the board dedicated to member's own recipes that they have done and tried. Not any of Steven's or other famous chefs out there but their own genuine homemade recipes that have turned out well or not so well and we can give feed back on it. If possible to make it a sticky. Kinda as a one stop shop place for new and exciting recipes....just bored and was wondering....

That's a really great idea! I actually had a similar idea myself, except mine involved using an entire new section of the board (Best BBQ Joint, General Discussion, Testimonials, RECIPE SWAP), rather than just a little sticky on the General Discussion section. Hey, if these recipes do become Steven's property, then maybe I can use this thing to post my Jack Daniels Thanksgiving turkey recipe and see if Steven likes it enough to put it in one of his future books. That would be awesome!

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:31 pm
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

This is Badabing's Jack Daniels Dipping Sauce:

Badabing wrote:

Ingredients
• Sauce:
• 1/3 cup diced red onions or a dash of onion powder
• 1/2 tsp finely diced garlic, 2 large cloves minced
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 3/4 cup Apple juice
• 1/2 cup Jack Daniels Black Label Bourbon
• 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce (I use about 3 shakes)
• Thickener:
• cornstarch
Preparation
• Place sauce ingredients in a sauce pan, mixing and stirring after each ingredient.
• Place on medium heat and stir until mixture reaches boiling stage.
• Turn temperature down to low until mixture is on a slow simmer.
• Cook sauce about 25 minutes, then add cornstarch a little at a time, stirring with a whisk, until mixture reaches desired consistency.

• Added pineapple juice last time instead of apple juice and it was great too.

This is a recipe I got from a friend a few years ago. Always comes out great for me. Let me know how you like it.

Thanks for the recipe Badabing and please include lots more!! :D
Image Image

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:19 pm
Big D well done
well done

man thats sounds good.. makin some this weekend

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:17 pm
chagan well done
well done

Great idea HSG, I will be scanning the post for a good chili recipe. I have done the tomato based ones with and without beans using ground beef and Texas style beef chunks, but I am eager to try something REALLY different. Maybe a chicken or turkey chili in a kind of white sauce. Anyway, I know someone out there has a recipe that fits the bill. I know the Grand one can whip up a good bunch don't ya know :wink:

Cheers

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:52 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Did someone say Chili?
A simple way to get different is to go green. Use Tomatillos and green chiles with everything else staying the same. Although I've not done it personally White Chili's are also good. They're more of a stew than a chile but still tasty. The whites are typically chicken or turkey based. I've even had a "chocolate" chili that was tasty. Still red but with a discernable sweet chocolate taste.
There is really no wrong way to go chili...but it has to be hot! :wink:

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:30 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Chagan, how about your original post from last year? Chili-NOT the grill

Did you ever make some of those? I posted an original Texas Red recipe there, as well as a few other members posting recipes.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:29 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks MRenolds- I did review that post but was looking for something other than traditional Texas or red style. I did just look at the chili verde recipe from BBcue-z that I'll start with as soon as I polish off the leftovers from the last batch of Texas style leftovers. I will try your version the next time I go that route. Thanks again.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:40 pm
FATZ medium-rare
medium-rare

ENJOY!!!

Mardi Gras BBQ Stew
This is basically a BBQ Beans recipe that has Louisiana poured into it. I've lived in Louisiana all my life and we think that we can cook up and eat anything if we can catch it.

Big can of ranch style beans (like 50 ozs.) (DO NOT DRAIN)
reg. size can of Rotel tomatos, drained
reg. size can of pork 'n beans, drained
reg . size can of green beans, drained (yeah, green "snap" beans)
reg. size can of yellow corn, drained
BBQ sauce
brown sugar
molasses
Worcestershire sauce, (bout 2T)
yellow mustard, (bout 2T)
lemon juice (bout 2T)
smoked beef (I use brisket)
smoked pork (pulled)
smoked sausage (sliced into discs)
1-2 white onions (chopped into BIG chunks, slices)
1 green bell pepper (chopped into BIG chunks, slices)
1 yellow bell pepper (chopped into BIG chunks, slices)
minced garlic
salt/black pepper
Louisiana hot sauce

Mix all ingredients (to taste) in a large Dutch oven and cook at about 200 for approx. 6 hours.

The idea is to SEE the colorful chunks in the mix.
You could put whatever the heck your little heart desires into this and it would be AWESOME.
It all tastes like a dang good big pot of BBQ baked beans. MMmmmm.......
FATZsBBQ.com
A taste of good ol' Southern boy BBQ.

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:39 am
HotSauceGuru well done
well done

Wow FATZ,

That sounds pretty good. When I have time to smoke a brisket and do some pulled pork, the leftovers may go into something like this. I am always looking for little side extras to use when serving my meals. Thanks for the recipe.
Image Image

Next

Return to FAQs and How-To's