Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BGEs and other kamado-style cookers are becoming very popular lately and a lot of our members here own one. Several of you have requested a thread, so due to popular demand the moderators have added this thread for you BGE owners and owners of other similar kamado-style grills.

Feel free to post pics of your new grill, modifications, accessories, comments, or anything else BGE- or kamado-related here. Think of this as a "CharGriller Family" thread for BGE and other kamado owners.

Enjoy! :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 4:33 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And yes - before anyone suggests I'm not a BGE fan, I should point out that the next grill on my list is now a BGE, and I plan to get one either this season or next. :D

That's in no small part because of the excellent posts on this board, too. :thumbup:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am
sroach well done
well done

CBG,

I blame Dyal and Griffin for "Making" me buy a BGE, ohh and all Smokin' Girl's posts didn't help either.. LOL

Actual took me two solid seasons to pull the trigger, but I will say I am really glad I did. Still learning how to use it but it's a nice grill.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I still :heart: my ol' CharGriller Superpro w SFB, but it's like driving an old Pontiac Catalina in terms of fuel consumption. Temptation is terribly great if I can ever fill my piggy bank enough to get one. :lol:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

My Grill Dome is still alive and kicking, though I am due to get a new gasket soon. The manufacturer sent me a strip of pool table felt and told me to use Elmer's glue... Ever try to make a round gasket out of a long rectangular strip? I did find a gasket maker near me who cut a pair out of thick felt which I treated with fire retardant spray. Should have had two pair made while I was there...

In all, I am pretty happy with it, but I don't participate in their forums or anything. Ceramic owners can be kind of cult-like. People were gushing all over the owner-founder of GD, but I found him clueless about his own product, which caused me months of leaking grief until a fellow forum member who happened to be an engineer deconstructed the hinge / spring / band mechanism and told me how to adjust it. Basically, I got rid of one of the two springs, and have had a nice seal ever since. I'm guessing it is going on eight years. The paint on the top of the lid had deteriorated entirely, bu I would not be surprised to get another 4-5 years out of it. All told, I have probably spent more replacing gassers over the same time period (though the Ducane seems to be holding up better than the cheaper models I had bought before.)
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Just got my new grill- a Craigslist item. A Char-Griller King Griller that looks 99% identical to an Char-Griller Akorn (at least to my eyes).

The King-Griller has been sold by Meijer, Gander Mountian, and a few other stores, The only place I've seen the Akorn is Lowe's.

The only differences I can see are the Akorn has an O ring on the upper damper,mm the King Griller does not (at least on parts list), and the utility hooks are placed a little differently.

Now to clean it up and make a few minor repairs, then see what I can do with it. Not sure if I want/need to get rid of the Char-Griller Duo with SFB yet. :cheers:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sun May 12, 2013 10:02 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

sroach wrote:
CBG,

I blame Dyal and Griffin for "Making" me buy a BGE, ohh and all Smokin' Girl's posts didn't help either.. LOL

Don't blame other people for your addiction, lol. :lol: :lol: :)

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 am
sroach well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
sroach wrote:
CBG,

SG you're a pusher and you know it.. sending all those awesome pictures of a full course dinner with desert!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! How can anyone resist... LOL

Post Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 am
QJuju well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
sroach wrote:
CBG,

You know it's really more of a cult!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Post Mon May 13, 2013 12:12 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I drank the Kool-Aid! I'm in the cult!

I will warn you, ceramic cookers can be addicting and have a tendency to multiply. :mrgreen:

Post Mon May 13, 2013 1:47 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
I drank the Kool-Aid! I'm in the cult!

I will warn you, ceramic cookers can be addicting and have a tendency to multiply. :mrgreen:

So if you feed that little BGE enough, will it grow up into a big one? :twisted:

Post Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm
sroach well done
well done

I wouldn't mind waking up to a a bunch of little ones on the patio.. LOL

Post Tue May 14, 2013 7:18 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

Glad to see this sticky, it would have been useful when I was researching buying a ceramic cooker!! Very happy with the one I picked, ceramics open a whole new experience to smoking/grilling!!
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm
SRH_21 medium
medium

I am looking to join the cult now. I finally came to grips that my Char-Griller was past its time and needed to be put out to greener pastures. I am looking at getting a Kamado Joe. They seem to have a lot of great reviews for customer service, warranty, and quality. I am still having trouble though on deciding between a Kamado Joe, a Grill Dome and a barrel smoker (a barrel smoker in the same price range as the ceramics). Any suggestions?
Chargriller
22.5" Weber Kettle

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Yes I will "blame" Griffin & Dyal & QJuju & EddieK & particularly smokin'gal for my new addiction. But I will also thank them. It seems some cults are good.

And yes they do seem to multiply if you leave them out in the dark very long. Thanks to the wonders of Apple stock dividends I got my first Large BGE in mid-August, Eggcessorized the heck out of it with the next dividend check, and added a second LBGE in early January. My original intent was to add a Small BGE in a couple years, but I quickly saw I needed another one right away. I decided to get a second Large because a Small with new Eggcessories cost more than a new Large with one or two duplicate Eggcessories.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Next

Return to General Discussion