Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Weber / WSM Thread

The Weber / WSM Thread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 09, 2013 4:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Weber kettles and gas grills and WSM vertical smokers have been a mainstay of this board for years and a lot of our members here own one. (I've owned 4 and Steven himself currently owns several. :D)

Due to popular demand, once again the moderators have added this thread for you Weber grill owners. Besides - we figured that since we have a CharGriller thread, a UDS / homemade barrel cooker thread, and now a BGE / Kamado thread, we couldn't leave out Weber. :D

Feel free to post pics of your new grill, modifications, accessories, comments, or anything else Weber or WSM--related here. Think of this as a "CharGriller Family" thread for Weber grills and smokers.

Enjoy!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

Thanks Guy, well my Oklahoma Joe's side fire box has had it so I will need to replace in the near future. I was looking at the new 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain as a major contender. I'm thinking will all that space plus my Weber Rotisserie, I would make quite the feast. On a side note, I want to play more with my Caja China this year, just did a practice run last year.

Cheers

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Look who crawled out of the woodwork! :lol:

Does the 22" rotisserie ring fit the big WSM? That would be a nifty setup.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 12:28 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey now stranger :D Weber cusomer service said that it wouldn't fit :( Oh well, I'll use the performer for that, and double check it on the WSM when no one is looking.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue May 14, 2013 12:51 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

chagan wrote:
Hey now stranger :D Weber cusomer service said that it wouldn't fit :( Oh well, I'll use the performer for that, and double check it on the WSM when no one is looking.

Darn - I was hoping it would fit. It would be ever so cool to have a WSM with a rotisserie rig on it. :shock:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Try the people at cajun bandit
http://cajunbandit.com/rotisserie/
I know they make a bunch of thing for the Webers.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Upon returning from BBQ U and dreaming about all those fabulous grills and smokers I was seriously considering buying a new smoker. I looked at the WSM and the Pit Barrel Cooker and a few others. Then I remembered Steve's shoes versus new smoker ratio of 5:1. My wife likes the expensive stuff. After the shoes there's not much left for a new cooker.
So I went out to the back yard and fondly looked at my old Weber kettle and remembered what my grandpa once said to me. He said, son, you can tell a skilled craftsman by his tools. They are not new or fancy but he knows how to use them to to get his job done.
So I fired up the old Weber and made the best damned ribs ever and I didn't have to buy any shoes. Now that's a win-win.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:44 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

If you ever get to the point you feel ready for a new smoker check Craigslist out, I know it can be a crap shoot sometimes but then again you just might get lucky and find a WSM or even a BGE for a good price. In my neck of the woods you rarely see either but when they do come up they don't last long and in most cases for about half to a third less than new.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, fireandspice! Glad to read that you're putting your Weber to good use!

Old Smoker, you're right on about CL. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, but it can be a good resource.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Welcome, fireandspice! Glad to read that you're putting your Weber to good use!

Old Smoker, you're right on about CL. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't, but it can be a good resource.

Welcome aboard, fireandspice! :D

+1 about Craigslist. One of our members here scored one of the old style red Weber kettles a few years ago for a good price. It was an absolute beauty when the reconditioning was finished.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm
BubbaQue well done
well done

I have a 7 or 8 year old Weber Performer. I have noticed rust at the weld points on the tops handle and where the tabs that hold the coal grate are welded to the base. The rust even shows on the outside. Weber replaced the bottom kettle two years ago but the rust is back. Is there something I can do to prevent this?
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

BubbaQue, I don't have an answer but you could, if you haven't already, check with the people at
http://tvwbb.com/forum.php?s=3f78e6adc3 ... f0cedc7058 it's a Weber based forum.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Thanks. I am aware of that forum. I will try it next. Again thanks.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:10 am
BBQ Deputy

You could try carefully removing the rust and then applying some high-heat furnace/fireplace paint. It's just light surface rust, right?

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
You could try carefully removing the rust and then applying some high-heat furnace/fireplace paint. It's just light surface rust, right?

There's also a Rustoleum product called a "rust remover" that converts rust into a primer. It seems to only be for surface rust, but you could try spraying it and then coating the parts again with high-heat paint. I'm experimenting with this stuff on my Outlaw's side firebox and I'll post results.

Next

Return to General Discussion